June 20, 2018, 05:35:57 PM

Author Topic: Alpaca scanner  (Read 8333 times)

Chumbie

• View Profile
Alpaca scanner
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
So I am trying to build a device powered trap similar to the pit trap, with a catch.  Instead of using a Gnome, goblin ect to trigger the pressure plate, I would like to use an Alpaca. 

The reason is that Alpacas (and all farm animals) run from baddies but not Gnomes.  So why not use them to scan your door way and run away from enemies and onto a pressure plate.  when they step on the plate the baddies drop into a pit and you can do whatever you want with them.

the question is whats a good setup to do this?

Mosquitobait

• View Profile
Re: Alpaca scanner
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »
I like this idea. I must implement it!

Chumbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 05:10:53 PM »
so after some testing i found some interesting bits.

1. you need atleast 8 tiles space distance between where the alpaca "sees" the enemy and when they can reach them.  otherwise mants will come in and start slicing up the alpacas before they realize they need to run away.

2. Alpacas will not run away if there is no path to them, even if the enemy is close to them.

3. Alpacas only run after they have line of sight to an enemy

4. Mants are MUCH faster then goblins.

currently the biggest problem is making sure the gnomes don't run out and fight the mants during the battle and fall down too.

Faark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 05:48:12 PM »
Awesome idea, should work perfect to automatically get rid of all this annoying fighting.

1 & 3) I think about using fences, they shouldn't block sight

2) That is tricky... but will they still run away in a straight line, opposite direction than seen enemy? Then it should be doable :)

5) What is the required height to instantly kill goblins, ogers and mants all together? *hrhr*

Also adding an "off" switch would make sense^^

ps: Is there any different behavior for other animals? A scared "chicken" would be great for the running-away-job as well :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 05:52:46 PM by Faark »
When will your gnomes start flooding your kingdom with legendaries? - Check out my mods! - Want to create mods yourself? Here is a early draft of a modding tutorial. Just checking by here infrequently these days, but feel free to PM me!

Chumbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 02:22:29 PM »
Still working on this, its proved a bit more difficult then i thought.

1. you need to have 2 paths into the base 1 is the trap, 1 is the normal path that the Alpacas close off when they see an enemy.   this keeps them scared and on the pad.  If you only have one path, the alpacas move off the pressure plate after the the enemies can no longer get to them.

2. (kind of obvious) but make it so the gnomes cant go on the trap path (make it longer, and I used a mechanical wall so the gnomes cant walk out of the base using the trap path)

3. do not use the alpaca scanner to power the trap path.

4. this is a bit of a glitch i think, but it works well.  Make the alpaca pasture 4x1 (holds 1 alpaca).  then extend the pasture to some location THAT THE ALPACAS CANT GET TO.  aka you can remove the floor around a 10x10 area and make it "part" of the same pasture.  this will let you have 20+ male alpacas on a 4x1 square

5. only use male alpacas..

6. dropping an alpaca on a gnome kills the gnome. 

- Faark.  I drop them goblins ect into a pit and shoot at them.  (I am planning adding stadium seating later)  this gets you exp and then loot when they die.  i have heard that ~10 tiles drop will kill most everything, including your gnomes if they somehow find a way into it.

Woden

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »
- Faark.  I drop them goblins ect into a pit and shoot at them.  (I am planning adding stadium seating later)

Build your Great Hall around it -- then your idle gnomes will come and watch. :D

Faark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »
:O That would be a very evil kingdom :D

4. this is a bit of a glitch i think, but it works well.  Make the alpaca pasture 4x1 (holds 1 alpaca).  then extend the pasture to some location THAT THE ALPACAS CANT GET TO.  aka you can remove the floor around a 10x10 area and make it "part" of the same pasture.  this will let you have 20+ male alpacas on a 4x1 square
There is also another bug... the game only checks if there is room for more animals while a gnome get the job to bring a new one in. But it only counts the ones already in there. So you can easily add a lot, if enough gnomes are bringing them in at the same time.

PETA would be pissed about the amount of room available for each individual animal in my kingdom  ::)

:-\
When will your gnomes start flooding your kingdom with legendaries? - Check out my mods! - Want to create mods yourself? Here is a early draft of a modding tutorial. Just checking by here infrequently these days, but feel free to PM me!

nathuram

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 11:05:16 PM »

Because you know we can't trust girls to watch the door because then they have to go to the bathroom and be gone for 15 min and then mants eat the gnomes.

6. dropping an alpaca on a gnome kills the gnome. 

Ah science....

Chumbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
I THINK I GOT IT!!

*sorry forum wont let me post pics, but the gladiator pit is most excellent

X = windmill
f = fence  *good idea Faark
I = axle
- = axle
o = pressure plate (disengaged)