June 20, 2018, 05:36:30 PM

Author Topic: Smash Trap Design and Tutorial  (Read 14487 times)

hydragorgon

• View Profile
Smash Trap Design and Tutorial
« on: March 09, 2013, 07:08:36 PM »
This is a basic tutorial for Gnomoria mechanics.  I've included schematics for two types of traps, both based
on my mechanical strategies.  I think that mechanics are the key to a long term fort, so I personally try to have a least 2 tinker benches by year 2.  I have 2 doctors with tinkering as their side job, a tactic I learned from the forums.  I apologise to whoever figured out that little tactic, because I forgot your forum handle.

Power Supply
 ---

Power is supplied by handcranks, windmills, and steam engines.  I personally use windmills because handcranks require dedicated gnomes and steam engines use precious coal.  Windmills are quite far down the invention list, but you still get em before mechanical walls.  I recommend you begin to build windmill pieces as soon as you get them, just to be ready for future projects.  placing windmills can be tricky.  They are built on the spot, not at a workshop.  Also make sure all the parts are made of the same resources.  Copper mechanism bases with copper rods for example.  Make sure all windmill blades are made from the same wood too.  I tend to overpower my inventions because I often use one power plant for multiple mechanisms.

Power is distributed to mechanical devices by gearboxes and axles.  The flow of that power is controlled by switches such as levers or pressure plates. 

Axles can be places horizontally or vertically.  Horizontal axles can be placed without digging up the floor, although sometimes its easier to visualise the circuit with the floors dug up. Vertical axles can be placed between gearboxes that are directly above and below eachother.  Place the gearboxes first before you place the vertical axle.  Placing horizontal axles can be buggy sometimes.  I recommend that you place those after the gearboxes and switches are placed too. 

Gearboxes distribute power to all four cardinal directions.  They do not distribute power diagonally. Gearboxes can have walls built on top of them, but not other mechanisms. Vertical axles can connect two gearboxes as mentioned above.  This allows power transfer between floors.

Switches
 ---

Switches control the flow of power through the circuits and mechanical devices. 

Levers act as their own transfer system, and don't need axles or gearboxes beneath them.  I don't think they can even be built on other mechanisms, but I haven't tried it.  THe simplest form of switch is the lever.  It's an on off switch that must be toggled manually by a gnome with the 'mechanics' job duty.  Levers are essentially like on and off axles.  I use them as master controls for every form of powered mechanism, even pressure plate based traps.  The easiest way to use a lever is to control a mechanical wall based gate.

Pressure plates are a little trickier.  They transfer power four ways, like a gearbox.  They cannot be built on top of another mechanism.  Pressure plates have two settings.  The default setting is off / ON.  This means the plate won't transfer power unless stepped on.  The other settings is on / OFF.  Power is always flowing until the plate is stepped on.  The setting of a pressure plate can be changed by a gnome with the mechanics job.  Click on the plate and change the settings like you'd toggle a lever.

Powered Mechanical Devices
 ---

The two mechanical devices are mechanical walls and hatches.  Used in unison they are deadly, but they both function quite differently. Mech walls take twice the power as hatches.  Remember when you place mech walls and hatches that gnomes and monsters can travel diagonally. It's important not to forget about this in terms of pathfinding and walls.  Don't place your devices before your switches and power supply, and make sure you've got the power off when built.

Mechanical walls are my favorite tool.  They are the earliest powered device, and they can be used to make both gates and smash traps.  Some bold gamers have even used them for elevators.  Mech walls must be placed on a floor.  The deploy down, basically just a fancy floor.  Once juiced up the wall rises.  If there is a floor built above the mech walls, anything on top of it is crushed instantly.  If there isn't a floor built above, whatever is on the wall is elevated one level.  before I knew this I accidently let a bunch of mants in, so remember to build a floor above the mech wall.

Hatches are holes in the ground, and must be placed with the floor dug out.  Their default setting is open, which prevents movement over them.  Once powered they closed up, acting like a normal floor.  Hatches are very useful for making pit traps.

The Traps Themselves
 ---

I'll start with the smash trap.  It's technically more complicated, but you can build it before a pit trap and it kills instantly.  Smash traps require a lot of power because of all the mech walls.  My smash trap is not the best ever made, but I think it works and is a good simple gate project.  This system is essentially failsafe, but you must be careful about disarming it.  It is not gnomad or merchant safe unless disarmed.

Figure 1 shows the circuits, without the walls in place.  This is the best way to explain how the trap works.  The walls are back for Figure 2.  The red lines represent current flow in this figure.  PLease note the grove thats being planted is actually the ceiling of the crusher trap.

The Main Gate system is necessary for my trap.  it allows the trap to be looted with total safety and without it building the trap becomes trickier.  The trap has to be disarmed for gnomads or merhcants, so the main gate can help here too.  The circuit is hidden by dirts walls  in the picture, but the blue line represents a simple line of axles attached to the malachite wall.  The power supply is on the above floor, and a switch untop of blue stone controls it.  I place colored stone under my switches for quick control.  I generally use one color for gates, one for traps.  In the case of this fort it's blue for gates, red for traps.

The Safety Gate system it a nice little failsafe door.  Pressure plates D and E both switch the wall on, making it impossible for anyone to get either in or out.  Your gnomes can't get past the safety gate to loot, and enemies that squeak by the traps can't get in either.  Since the gate is down, units will still try to find a way into the fort.  If your units want to get out tho, they'll trigger the door over and over, blocking enemy path finding.  therefore it's important to loot every once in a while so the trap doesn't get gummed up.  The power comes from above again, and their is a master lever to switch it on and off.

The Smash Trap system is somewhat complicated but bear with me.  Everything has it's reason, and when I'm down you'll understand the trick and how useful it is.  The power is fed from above, with a lever on red stone to arm or disarm the whole thing.  The axles will be covered with floor, but right now they're more important to show the flow of power.  The first copper gearbox feeds the malachite one, powering Pressure Plate A.  Then an axle connects the first copper gearbox to the last two.  Each pressure plate has it's own gearbox. Pressure plates A and B both trigger the malachite mech wall.  They are set to default.  Pressure Plate C powers the crushing walls.  It is set to on / OFF, which is not the default.

Figure 2 shows the floors and walls filled in.  The axles and gearboxes are covered up allowing more conventional contruction.  I've used red stone to show the hallways that can be travelled down.  The green dotted line is the AI path, the red dotted line is the AI path of doom.

The Trap is Sprung and the Main Gate is down.  The six mech walls are up, waiting for someone to step on Plate C.  There are no gnomes with jobs on the outside of the gate to trigger the Safety Gate, so enemy pathfinding thinks the fort is open to attack. 

The Gruesome Results speak for themselves.  This is literally a raid on the first night that the trap was finished.  The Goblin Horde rushed thru the gate onto Plate A, blocking their path.  Some stumbled onto Plate C, which keep the path blocked.  Remember without Plate C the enemies could move diagonally past the trap itself.  Thats because Place C is set opposite, so it doesnt power the walls when stepped on.  The Gobbos did step on Plate C however, reopening the path straight into the fort!  scattered amongst a few tiles, the gobs keep Plate C triggered for a few seconds.  but as soon as that last two headed ogre stepped off, all the rest were instantly crushed.  Only one goblin made it by, the very first one to trigger Plate C probably.  I raised the Main Gate and disarmed the Smash Trap.  Then I turned off the Safety Gate and greeted him with about 20 steel clad veterans.  Now the trap is ready to be looted and the larders swell with ogre meat.

This is my Pit Trap, which I built before the idea of putting a little tutorial together.  Therefore it is a bit messy.  The basics of this trap are the same as above though.  The green malachite wall is the Main Gate.  Past the trap is a Safety Gate.  The path of the trap is mined out to thow the circuit, but the 'w's show where the walls were.  The incredible thing about a pit trap is that even though it takes more time to research it's alot less complicated.  This is because mech walls block pathfinding when on, where as hatches allow it when on. 

Pressure Plate A throws up the mech wall, in this case two.  Pressure Plate B keeps the walls up, but closes the hatches up.  This makes the AI think the fort is open again.  Once PLate B is disengaged however, all but the fastest enemies drop into a death pit.  My pit is filled with traps and has a gallery for archers to shoot at.  The floors are covered in rae mant blood.  It's important to have a torch in there so you know what's trapped inside.

Summary
 ---

The more you tinker the better you get, both in terms of gnome skill and design.  I recommend starting with a plan, and make sure to give yourself ample room in case there's something you havent taken into account.  thanks alot for reading , and thanks to everybody involved with the gnomoria development. 

hydragorgon

please post your reactions and and changes or different theories about mechanical traps.

Edramon

• View Profile
Re: Smash Trap Design and Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:51:15 AM »
Wow, excellent guide. Great work.

Worth mentioning is that you can bind a key (Q for me, which may be a default) to show axles through floor.

hydragorgon

• View Profile
Re: Smash Trap Design and Tutorial
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »
Thanks alot Edramon.  For some reason I gloassed over that key bind.  I set my keys up for wasd movement.  my q and e keys are bound to rotate view.  I just like this cause I been playing alot of arma, so it reminds me of the leaning.  i will definitely bound the 'show axle' feature to the key that removes all those grey boxes from view.  I think we should start a thread on keybinding schemes.  it could be both helpful to other players and even robobob.

in a week or so I'm gonna update this post.  do you mind if I include your suggestion (with proper credit of course)? alot of times poeple stop at the OP. 

thanks alot hydragorgon