October 22, 2017, 07:43:18 PM

Author Topic: Factorio  (Read 15353 times)

Dakkanor

• View Profile
Factorio
« on: February 27, 2013, 05:21:16 PM »
Hey all, i like to keep an eye on the "indie games to look forward to" thread because quite simply, people who like gnomoria are likely to enjoy similar games to myself

anyway my point here is that through that thread i found FACTORIO.

this is an awesome game in my amateur opinion and one that really needs to be around. they're running a kickstarter through indiegogo and are asking for 17000 euro, with 4 days left they have about 1000 euro left, and there are also some really nice looking stretch goals.

so here it is, if you like gnomoria(which is the reason you're on this forum) then i think that you'd really enjoy factorio.
there is a decent demo that gives you enough to know if you'd like it or not so all i ask is that you try it, and IF you like it then consider funding it.

thanks for your time :)

links to main website(with link to demo) and indiegogo fundraiser page
https://www.factorio.com/
http://www.indiegogo.com/factorio

orbitmoria

• All they do is dance!
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
I like Factorio a lot.   :)

It's the most exciting indie game I've played this year. Apart from the main game, it also comes with a Map Editor built in which is nice. At the current rate of contributions, Factorio will be funded by tomorrow. The Kickstarter is gets over a hundred dollars an hour due to the demo getting around and all the videos on Youtube.

Try the demo and see for yourself.

Blackmoor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:34:40 PM »
I can't get enough, play the it at your own risk  ;)

Darthlawsuit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 02:28:24 AM »
I just played this till 5am >.< This game is addicting, especially with my love of mass production and machines.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=1933.0

syneris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »
Demo is pretty fun. The game feels a bit short lived though, but it is an early alpha. Hopefully more features will be added that extend the basic system.  Another basic resource or two, tons of different items to craft, reasons to craft, and large scale projects would add a lot of value to the system. There just doesn't seem to be much of a purpose beyond the design part; at least gnomoria has a survival aspect to keep the player involved beyond construction.

Still, I've only played the demo. Contributed and emailed this morning, waiting on my key. Funding goal was reached today, so they are probably behind on sending them out.

Darthlawsuit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 08:57:43 PM »
Well this is only a working demo and not even an alpha.

http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=1933.0

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 11:46:52 PM »
Will give it a try tonight.

Strange kind of kickstarter funding though. 17k is pretty low of a goal, imo.
And selling votes? If I had to spend a (bought) vote everytime I suggest something in gnomoria, I'd be broke. And my wive would murderize me using our front door.

Still, i like to kickstart stuff.

How to share Savegames

syneris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 12:50:46 AM »
Stretch goals
We have a lot of ideas for further development. We have composed a list of couple of stretch goals in the order we thing makes the most sense. However, as mentioned earlier, we think players should have a say in what will go in or not. Therefore the final ordering in the list below will be decided in player polls on the website.

This makes me think our votes are just to decide which things (from the list underneath) get implemented first.

orbitmoria

• All they do is dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »
It's great that the game is funded, I'm really impressed with it so far. The current alpha state of the game consists of the tutorial levels and the campaign. The Map Editor is also being developed and the game is already Mod-able.

Will give it a try tonight.

Strange kind of kickstarter funding though. 17k is pretty low of a goal, imo.
And selling votes? If I had to spend a (bought) vote everytime I suggest something in gnomoria, I'd be broke. And my wive would murderize me using our front door.

Still, i like to kickstart stuff.

Actually, you can make unlimited suggestions on their forums. I think the vote system is when the developer asks the community what feature they should be focused on the most. So it's a special thing that will come up later. What impressed me about the developers is that they respond well to comments on the forum. They are very active in the community so far.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:44:21 PM by orbitmoria »

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »
Aaand, funded.

This game will be worth 10 Euros - and more. It has a certain "Incredible Machine" feel to it.

However, it didnt reel me in as gnomoria did, and still does. Having to play the character like in Terraria felt like... well Terraria. Which I really liked for a while, mind you. Combat however is rather boring. I hope they fix that.

How to share Savegames

Dyathide

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
Wonderful... Now I am addicted to gnomoria and factorio.. Why did I read this thread *Cries*

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 02:48:59 AM »
Aaand, funded.

This game will be worth 10 Euros - and more. It has a certain "Incredible Machine" feel to it.

Ah, The Incredible Machine. Now THAT was a wonderful game too...

wsensor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 10:31:52 AM »
T_T I keep playing all these fun games.
1st it was Terraria (I spent 500 hours on unmodded alone and over 1k more with mods.)
2nd was Gnomoria I lost several days/nights thinking I am only going to play for a bit (1 or 2 seasons at a time) and played 2-3 years on double speed. (This hurt the most I was up from 7am on a day I worked nightshift so I played before work wasted an entire day then went and stayed up until almost noon the next day playing gnomoria T_T. I don't play games when I get home anymore from work that ruined my entire free weekend haha.)
3rd was towns but I gave up as I prefer Gnomoria but I still tried it I will go back again later.

Now I am messing with factorio I go off and on with it since random map generation tends to make me want to kill my self.
Set everything to frequent and I always find either nothing where my char spawns nearby or just 1 of the resources.
Usually its lack of stone anywhere at all so I always do stone on maxed frequent now and set it to small packs. Still I have trouble finding stone even when set to larger amounts lol.

So my gaming schedule bounces from Gnomoria to Factorio to whatever random quick to play/leave game I have laying around right now its ZombieGrinder. I have to watch how much I play games too much is bad for me haha.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:33:55 AM by wsensor »

Kelderek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »
Please forgive the necro of an old thread, but in case any of you haven't checked in a while Factorio is still making good progress with more and more new things added in the past year.  I hadn't played it in a few months so I picked up the latest version and have been sucked back in again.  I especially like the increasing layers of complexity they've added like a whole new oil/liquid system.

One of the better sandbox games out there for early access.  And if you shy away from early access games, this is one of the ones that is complete enough already to get plenty of fun out of it and in my experience has very few bugs (I haven't really found any myself yet).

SilverWarior

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 01:19:16 AM »
Yes Factorio has become quite great game. Since I'm monitoring it closely I can quickly share most common bugs and problems with it so all of you will know that to expect.

Most common problems reported with latest Factorio versions are:
- some users which have integrated graphics core inside their CPU (APU's) have problems starting Factorio or are expiriencing wierd visual glitches
- Factorio has become qute heavy on video memory usage. So it is recomended to have athleast 512 MB of video memory available for vanila game (256 in low graphic mode). But if you play with mods (there are several excelent ones) the video memory usage could go over the 1GB. Pepole with not enough memory usually end up with missing graphics in game.
- for some reason factorio sometimes ends up storing its graphics in System GPU memory (part of RAM being shared to graphics card in order to increase the amount of memory available to graphics card) instead of Dedicated GPU memory (actuall graphics card memory) which results in low FPS of the game. Restarting the game usually doesent help but restarting the system fixes the problem. Developers haven't been able to track the reason for this yet. But I suspect that the reason doesen't only lay in the game itself but also in the operating system itself.
- sometimes biters (ingame enemies) just get stuck in place. The most likely cause for this is some bug in their AI. This does not cause CPU usage spike so it isn't to big of a gameplay problem. In fact it makes a game a bit easier as you can go and kill them without any danger to yourself.
- rarely the game ends up continuosly creating new chunks which could lead to extreme slowdown and game using up all available memory.
- someteimes when staring new world game places you on a tiny island in the middle of the lake or creates an siland in the size of staring area placed in the middle of the ocean biome. So yes word generation isn't perfect.

Anywhay in short I could say that Factorio is definitly more stable than most other Indie games I'm playing. Infact it is even more stable than many big AAA games I'm playing.

So I definitly recomend you go and try it out if you haven't already.
And good news for all of you who enjoy playing multiplayer games: Factorio developers are in the process of implementing multiplayer support. It still won't be available in next version but should come after a few versions.