July 29, 2014, 09:46:49 AM

Author Topic: Gnomoria v0.8.28 released  (Read 11607 times)

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
Gnomoria v0.8.28 released
« on: February 12, 2013, 12:50:17 PM »
The big change with today's update is the rebalancing of item values and their effects on the game.  It has been changed to give a little more control over the difficulty progression while in game.  Combat related items have a greater effect on the overall Kingdom worth than they did before.  Constructing walls, floors and decorations as well as crafting items like commemorative coins, etc still have a meaningful impact on the overall worth however.

This means that if you're comfortable defending your current position you can focus on building structures and decorating rooms without a dramatic effect on attracting harder enemies.  It also means that the best way to attract gnomads is to build up your military and let everyone know they'll be safe migrating to your kingdom.

New kingdoms at first will likely attract fewer gnomads than before.  Once your industry has started and can craft weapons and armor, it becomes easier to grow and you can achieve higher populations than before.  Of course, you can still generate worth (and attract gnomads) crafting statues and puzzle boxes, but you'll also have a hard time defending the upcoming attacks if those items make up the majority of your worth.

Overall, the changes help with different playstyles.  If you prefer to rush weapons and armor, you'll be able to quickly grow and also attract enemies that better match your strength.  Alternatively, once you can protect your initial kingdom, you can take your time before deciding to move on and attract more gnomes and tougher enemies.

When loading existing games, it will recalculate your worth based on the new values.  Some items from older saves might have a small difference in value than a new game, but shouldn't have a large impact.  If you're loading a game with say 40 gnomes all wearing full steel armor, there will most likely be an immediate jump in difficulty that you might not be prepared for.  I recommend starting a new game with this patch, but your old saves will still load if you want to try it out.

As usual with this kind of change, I'll be making adjustments along the way based on feedback.

General
  • Updated item and material values
  • Updated spawn formulas for gnomads and enemies
  • Updated merchant rates and added more merchants that offer better goods
  • Updated the effect of personal quarters worth on sleep rate
  • Goblins, ogres and mants attempt to leave if they are dying of thirst/starvation

Fixed
  • Gnomes in squads getting stuck
  • Machine shop crafting incorrect items

orbitmoria

• All they do is dance!
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria v0.8.28 released
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 12:57:59 PM »
Yes!  :D

Thanks for the update, it sounds like a great improvement.

skreyola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »
I think it's really very awesome that you seek to make the game fun for more than one style of player. I don't usually see that in games, and it's refreshing!

Hmm... goblins will no longer bring me gifts if I wall in? ;) Good for game balance, either way we play.

Now, if I can just carve out some time to play...

Xanoxis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:03:43 PM »
Thank you for Machine Shop fix :3 Crossbows, here I come :D
I want tigers in Gnomoria :D

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 01:17:20 PM »
General
  • Goblins, ogres and mants attempt to leave if they are dying of thirst/starvation

Walling in players just need to invest in ranged weaponry - so I hope no one cries "NERF" too much. You can still savely farm them i guess (until they get some sort of ranged weaponry... then it gets interesting)
Fixed
  • Gnomes in squads getting stuck
  • Machine shop crafting incorrect items

Pure, condensed awesome. Thanks!
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

General Suggestion Collection Thread New and improved Suggestion List

re1wind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
If you're loading a game with say 40 gnomes all wearing full steel armor, there will most likely be an immediate jump in difficulty that you might not be prepared for.

interesting, by how much has armour/weapons increased in value? are silver weapons viable as a means to increase KW when compared to silver statues?

Geowil

• View Profile
    • Laughing Man Productions˛ Entertainment and Gaming Network
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 01:25:06 PM »
I feel like shouting hell yeah so I will:
Hell yeah!
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those Deaf-Mutes...Or should I?" --Laughing Man

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »
General

Walling in players just need to invest in ranged weaponry - so I hope no one cries "NERF" too much. You can still savely farm them i guess (until they get some sort of ranged weaponry... then it gets interesting)

Yeah, I'm not totally trying to subvert walling yourself in.  The value changes combined with how easy it was to get armor and weapons from dead goblins hurt the progression.  It could quickly snowball as abandoned armor piled up outside your walls, attracting harder enemies that dropped more/better armor.

I'm not planning major goblin changes anytime soon, but you might see some changes at some point.  I don't think it would be out of the question to see goblins with ranged weapons or bringing their own supplies so they could hang out outside your walls longer.  I wouldn't want goblins destroying anything you've built but I've thought about a "goblin tunneler" that would spawn if previous raid attempts couldn't get inside your walls.  The tunneler would start a tunnel which shows up where they spawn and also inside your base.  After some time the tunnel would be complete and would effectively act like a portal for goblins to get in.  But, again, those are some changes to consider later on.

If you're loading a game with say 40 gnomes all wearing full steel armor, there will most likely be an immediate jump in difficulty that you might not be prepared for.

interesting, by how much has armour/weapons increased in value? are silver weapons viable as a means to increase KW when compared to silver statues?

They increased quite a bit.  I wanted them to be able to offset constructions enough to not have as big of an impact on difficulty.  They also differ more by material so that building lots of copper armor won't bump you into bronze enemies as quickly as crafting bronze armor.  For silver specifically, it would add to your wealth similar to building an iron weapon but be less effective in combat than copper.  Value-wise a silver statue and a silver sword are worth about the same but a silver statue takes less silver bars to craft.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:53:31 PM by RoboB0b »

Geodripp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
Great job with the awesome quick bug fixes! Really happy to start a new kingdom and hopefully live to see some crossbows : P 

Temeez

• View Profile
    • IndieFansite
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 01:56:38 PM »
Nice update! Making enemies retreat when thirsty/hungry is very logical, hence I like it :)

BTW: Did you make sure that if enemy X is stuck somewhere it wont try to retreat so game won't crash?
Does your game crash? Use bugzilla and post your crash in there if its not already!
Location of Gnomoria crash log: \Documents\My Games\Gnomoria\gnomoria.log

Use imgur for image uploading! - Don't use ImageShack please :)

IRC Chat

Darthlawsuit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
General

I'm not planning major goblin changes anytime soon, but you might see some changes at some point.  I don't think it would be out of the question to see goblins with ranged weapons or bringing their own supplies so they could hang out outside your walls longer. I wouldn't want goblins destroying anything you've built but I've thought about a "goblin tunneler" that would spawn if previous raid attempts couldn't get inside your walls.  The tunneler would start a tunnel which shows up where they spawn and also inside your base.  After some time the tunnel would be complete and would effectively act like a portal for goblins to get in.  But, again, those are some changes to consider later on.
I would love an option to allow goblins/mants/ogres (the intelligent races) to be able to attack my structures and eventually open up holes in them. Then it would give meaning to building defensive walls. Sieges with ladders, catapults, bridges, etc would make this game fantastic! Of course make it a switchable option so it isn't forced upon players. For my new fortress I am already building moats, bridges, and traps I would like to see them put to the test :D

I'd pay $50 to be able to build a castle brick by brick then be able to have full scale invasions of it and have to rely on walls, traps, and good ol' blood and iron. That is what I have been hoping this genre of game will give me eventually.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:13:27 PM by Darthlawsuit »

http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=1933.0

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 02:16:55 PM »
I would love an option to allow goblins/mants/ogres (the intelligent races) to be able to attack my structures and eventually open up holes in them. Then it would give meaning to building defensive walls. Sieges with ladders, catapults, bridges, etc would make this game fantastic! Of course make it a switchable option so it isn't forced upon players. For my new fortress I am already building moats, bridges, and traps I would like to see them put to the test :D

I can see the appeal in that.  I think you have to be in the mindset that everything is temporary and meant to be destroyed and then it's fun being in a constant state of disrepair.  I think it can also be incredibly frustrating to spend time building up something nice to have goblins constantly picking at your walls and ruining your day.  So yeah, I agree that if it was added it should be an option.

Darthlawsuit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 02:27:57 PM »

I can see the appeal in that.  I think you have to be in the mindset that everything is temporary and meant to be destroyed and then it's fun being in a constant state of disrepair.  I think it can also be incredibly frustrating to spend time building up something nice to have goblins constantly picking at your walls and ruining your day.  So yeah, I agree that if it was added it should be an option.
Yeah most people want to be able to build their castle before it is attacked so setting an option would make everyone happy, could even have an option for progressively harder sieges. Perhaps have a counter to see how many seasons you can last against increasingly difficult sieges. Then gnomoria could have survival competitions.

Full blown sieges would probably only happen once a season to allow for repairs and recovery.

http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=1933.0

Kissell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 02:31:43 PM »
Wow I like the idea of the goblilns bringing supplies!  Then they leave when the supplies run out, or as more come they get resupplied.  It'd be like a real fort siege!  If that could be implemented, I'd definitely be a fan.  Can't wait to try this patch out.  Thanks Robobob!

miao

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 02:38:22 PM »
You could have a progression of materials and destroyers: earth, wood, stone increasingly difficult do break.
each race would have a different speed at tunneling through walls, goblins very slow, mants faster etc.

My English sucks, but you get the point.