October 22, 2017, 07:42:14 PM

Author Topic: Dropped a mant into a lake  (Read 1920 times)

Neebat

• View Profile
Dropped a mant into a lake
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:02:07 PM »
He just died, at least 2 seasons later...

from thirst.

Darthlawsuit

• View Profile
Re: Dropped a mant into a lake
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »
All seems normal here.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=1933.0

orbitmoria

• All they do is dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:43:11 PM »
It's a known bug that Mants don't drown. The fact that monsters don't drink or eat is an intended feature, I believe.

Geowil

• View Profile
    • Laughing Man Productions˛ Entertainment and Gaming Network
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:29:52 AM »
It's a known bug that Mants don't drown. The fact that monsters don't drink or eat is an intended feature, I believe.

If that is true then should they not be able to die form thirst?  And what about the major factors for mant infestation levels?  I thought one reason they are attracted in greater numbers was due to food and drink stock piles.  If they do not eat or drink I find that to be a huge continuity problem.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those Deaf-Mutes...Or should I?" --Laughing Man

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 01:43:57 AM »
If that is true then should they not be able to die form thirst?  And what about the major factors for mant infestation levels?  I thought one reason they are attracted in greater numbers was due to food and drink stock piles.  If they do not eat or drink I find that to be a huge continuity problem.

Mants are not entirely done, I am sure.
They react weird to bleeding damage (not bleeding at all, until you hit them with unbelievable force... I guess they just have +X bleeding resistance? In any way, it is not consistent), their breathing behaviour is very odd (they should breath through the chitin (they have no longs to destroy), but that should drown them in seconds - having a lung means you can hold your breath. Having skin breathing means you cant, and will start drowning the second you are completely submerged.), and their limbs cannot be cut off - which is very, very odd. Insect limbs have a thing for coming off (any kid with cruel notions knows this, also people with arachnophobic girlfriends/wives: Insect and spider limbs quite often come off by accident if you do not employ extreme care), but with mants you can hack on them all you want, they stay on and just get rather unusable.

So, I really expect to change behaviour sooner or later. The underwater drowning is just a silly glitch at the moment.

Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

orbitmoria

• All they do is dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »

Mants, like ants, want to bring Food back to their Queen.  ;)

The fact that all enemies can die of thirst is also a good way to keep the game from getting clogged with NPCs.