December 17, 2017, 09:37:52 AM

Author Topic: Above ground!  (Read 2422 times)

Smee

• View Profile
Above ground!
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:29:15 AM »
Kingdom Above

The first time I saw a screenshot of someone's above ground village/town in Gnomoria I knew I'd have to give it a try.

I spent some time in Excel creating a plan for efficiently laying out all the key components of the kingdom in an above ground structure that was easily defendable.

A 17 x 17 square fort is the design I settled on.

Because of the quantity of building required I used the new terrain options to create a flat land with abundant shallow ores.

Whilst the fort would include a walled off area behind for groves/pastures etc, I vowed to never shut off the front door.

See the short album below to see my plans and an above-shot of the fort.

http://imgur.com/a/2HuOR

~

As you can see I've embellished a side tower and a small house behind the keep. I intend to populate the walled in area with more houses, some simple roads, and a crypt by the far back wall. I'm also slowly channeling the bottom lake into a river flowing upto a well just visible in the final screenshot.

More screenshots of the individual layers of the main Keep will follow soon. I'm really quite happy with how it turned out. The flow of materials through the keep is quick and efficient.
"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own Satanic Herd!"

Mac13eth

• View Profile
Re: Above ground!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:06:04 AM »
[thumbs up]

Looks very efficient.  Was building up the walls/new floors a pain or did it go smoothly?

Smee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:20:14 AM »
Everything was built with dirt to start with; for 2 reasons :

1) Dirt is all I had (and I often ran out of it)
2) Dirt walls can be mined out quickly rather than having to be deconstructed.

I had to go down to -17 to find the basalt, and obviously wait a few seasons before I could afford to use wood plank walls.

The build up was fine. The longest job was adding the floor. 17 x 17 is a lot of floor jobs for 2 builders in the first season. Things sped up considerably when I could afford to add construction to the mining profession, and more Gnomads arrived.

Replacing all the dirt walls with stone/wood was reasonably easy. About 10 minutes for my gnomes to full re-wall a level which was pretty good.

Gnomorphia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:25:12 PM »
hey Smee what program did you use to make your floor plans???

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 11:54:20 PM »
hey Smee what program did you use to make your floor plans???

Looks like excel or calc (the excel lookalike from openoffice).

17x17 is a very efficient pattern, with lots and lots of room for all your crafting needs. The only time i need more than that is for my "Tower down to -99" design. But that one has to wait a bit. I play a "hard" large map at the moment, in the hopes of getting some mechanic examples for the wiki going.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Daelon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 12:50:32 AM »
You can use similar thing from google docs also :) or google DRIVE as it is called these days :D

Smee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 01:13:44 AM »
Yup it is Excel - but not using any clever functions so (as others have suggested) any spreadsheet program will do. I was just using it for the handy grid.  :D

Bad news though - the new patch with all the workshop changes meant I started a new world to see how it all worked. Then another new world trying to optimise my progress through all the extra complications. Tidying up after myself - deleting this new worlds and it seems in my enthusiasm I also deleted this world  :'(

However!

Once the new merchant / gnome calculation patch(s) come out though I will likely rebuild this. I'm still a big fan of this design.

Happy Playing :)