July 22, 2014, 02:42:22 PM

Author Topic: Gnomoria v0.8.24 released  (Read 18356 times)

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
Gnomoria v0.8.24 released
« on: December 18, 2012, 01:01:13 PM »
Based on feedback from the poll about switching from Peaceful to Normal, this patch adds some options to adjust difficulty.  There are some presets and also an advanced options window to adjust each option individually.

There are two options for adjusting how ore veins are generated.

Metal Depth -  Picking "Shallow" will generate higher tiers of metal at depths closer to the surface, while "Deep" means you will have to dig deeper before finding the next tier of metal.

Metal Amount - "Scarce" generates less total ore veins, while "Abundant" generates more.

The next three options adjust how enemies spawn.

Enemy Strength - This scales the calculated strength which is based off Kingdom Worth or depth.  A strength higher than 1 means, stronger enemies will spawn for the same Kingdom Worth or depth than normal and a number less than 1 means weaker enemies will spawn.

Attack Rate - This scales how often enemies spawn.  A higher number will spawn enemies sooner while a lower number gives more time between attacks.

Attack Size - This scales the number of enemies that spawn.

The next option additionally increases enemy strength over time.  This combines with the strength calculated from Kingdom Worth or depth.

The next few options for difficulty allow turning different enemy types on or off.  You can turn off all underground enemies, or just mants or whatever here.

This patch also adds some sliders for adjusting terrain generation.  For the next few examples, every world was generated on a Standard size Kingdom with a seed of 0.  The pictures are also zoomed out further than normal with all hidden cells visible to give a better idea of the changes.

Here is the terrain with defaults:

The first slider adjusts the height of hills.  Sliding it all the way to the left will always be a completely flat map and all the way to the right will create taller hills than normal.  You'll also notice how the layers of stone are effected by the changes.

Flat
Tall

The next slider changes the frequency of one of the noise functions used.  Moving the slider to the left has the effect of widening hills and valleys and to the right makes narrow valleys with many hills close together.  Here are the examples with this slider at each extreme:

Wide
Narrow

The last slider changes the octave which has the effect of making the landscape more smooth or bumpy.  Here is the result of each extreme:

Smooth
Bumpy

Here are some more combinations.  If you go to the extreme on multiple sliders, you could possibly end up with some hard or impossible to play on maps.

Narrow-Smooth
Narrow-Bumpy

Wide-Bumpy
Wide-Smooth

Tall-Wide-Bumpy
Tall-Narrow-Smooth
Tall-Narrow-Bumpy

Here are the rest of the patch notes:

Version 0.8.24
General
  • Added Advanced New Game options for terrain generation and difficulty.
  • Added option to change from Peaceful to non-Peaceful

Audio
  • Changed to irrKlang audio library. This fixes the requirement to have WMP installed

Fixed
  • Risen gnomes sometimes appearing as skeletons. Previous zombies will still show as skeletons.
  • Building constructions over planted seeds causing unforagable crops

Next week, I'll be out of town visiting family for the holidays, so there won't be a patch.  There may or may not be a patch the week after that depending on what gets in by then.

lampyridae

• View Profile
Re: Gnomoria v0.8.24 released
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
Thank you Santa RoboB0b!
Sleep with the lights on.

Zimposity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »
Nice updates, i think that the coolest terrain is Tall-Narrow-Bumpy. I'll use that when next generating a map!  :D

RedDagger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 01:15:42 PM »
Awesome update! Thanks Rob.

lotsofpaper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:16:59 PM »
And now.. to create super strong enemy hordes for my gnomes to obliterate. They need a challenge.

Hairyguy

• "Do or do not. There is no trying" - Yoda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 01:18:43 PM »
Cool update. This will be indeed Merry Christmas ;)
Best wishes to You, Sir.

orbitmoria

• All they do is dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »
Thanks for the new toys to play with. Have a great holiday break!

Solitary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Sweet! Can't wait to play!

Question about enemy strength:
Can I set the options so that I still get steel goblins spawning, but they're just weaker? Or do I need to set it so that I need more Kingdom Worth before they spawn?

ps.

Keep up the awesome work!  :D

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »
Sweet! Can't wait to play!

Question about enemy strength:
Can I set the options so that I still get steel goblins spawning, but they're just weaker? Or do I need to set it so that I need more Kingdom Worth before they spawn?

ps.

Keep up the awesome work!  :D

The individual strengths of enemies hasn't changed.  If you set the Enemy Strength slider to less than 1, it just makes it so you need more KW before they start to show up.

Lorias

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Welp, this renewed my interest in the game tenfold.

You have been, and continue to be, amazing. You more than deserve a week or so off.

City Builder

• View Profile
    • MineCraft Schematics
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »
Awesome sounding update, I think this might bring me back to playing Gnomoria again.

Have a wonderful Holiday.

ArwingXL

• Game Art Donator
    • View Profile
    • RADCORE.US
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »
Whoa... this is a pretty groovy update. Once I finish with my DF metropolis "Minerises", population 262, I think I will have to make a new Gnomoria world again.

Chiko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 01:43:17 PM »
Difficulty settings and more control over terrain generation. Most awesome update ever!

sirguylittle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »
WOW! This is an amazing update. You definitely deserve a well earned break RoboBOb. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :)

Lord_Asriel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »
You rock!