October 01, 2014, 05:12:17 AM

Author Topic: Gnomoria v0.8.22 released  (Read 10012 times)

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
Gnomoria v0.8.22 released
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:02:24 PM »
General
  • Added quality option for Uniform
  • Market Stall differentiates items by quality, so the proper value is used when trading
  • Item quality improves weapon and armor effectiveness

Fixed
  • Becoming unresponsive when the game didn't have focus for a short period of time
  • Crash when building a door at the edge of the map
  • Stocking piles (dirt/ammo/etc piles) not always adhering to material constraints

Adding filters for quality required some restructuring of how items are stored.  I had to spend some extra time this patch making sure old saves updated and nothing else broke since many parts of the game depend on finding and using items.  Now that gnomes look at quality when equipping weapons and armor, I felt comfortable having quality effect combat.

I still need to add a quality option for building/placing furniture and a better method for generating quality when crafting.  I didn't want those things to hold up today's patch so they are still missing for now.

mimimito

• View Profile
Re: Gnomoria v0.8.22 released
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:06:18 PM »
Thank you! Off to edit the wiki!  :P
Help improve the Gnomoria Wiki

TransWorlder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »
What is meant by item quality? So say my armorer makes 10 breastplates the first might be quality 10 and the last quality 50? So higher skill means higher quality items?

-TW

ilovecomix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »
Thank you Thank you,  Now all i have to do is wait for the update to hit Desura and I am ready to play again..... ;D

Mazz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 12:12:27 PM »
What is meant by item quality? So say my armorer makes 10 breastplates the first might be quality 10 and the last quality 50? So higher skill means higher quality items?

-TW

If you pay attention to when a crafter makes something like a breastplate, sword, or a furniture piece besides a torch, it's item deals will often say something like "Poorly crafted oak crate" or "Finely crafted bronze helmet". The Poor and Fine traits are the build quality, and previously they were merely aesthetic, except for room value calculations (a "Finely crafted" silver statue was worth ~17100, a "poorly" worth around ~15000).

Now, this build quality will effect more things, like value at the merchant when selling to him, and weapon and armor values in combat. This means that having one crafter make items to improve his skill (and his chances to make above average items), will have greater benefit to your troops and buildings.

2 questions Rob:

1. The uniform settings, if I set it to "finely" does that mean the minimum is "finely" and they will choose superiorly if available, or that they will strictly wear finely?

2. Is there any kind of table to know what the increases to combat/armor effectiveness to be? Or is that just something you'd rather us infer?

Great work again, btw.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:16:30 PM by Mazz »

RizzRustbolt

• Fine Apple Wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 12:12:36 PM »
Woob!Woob!Woob!

;P

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »

-TW

Yeah, pretty much.  The crafter's skill determines what the final quality of an item will be.  It's currently on a bell curve and feels too random.  Many items don't have any quality as well.  All of the "finished goods" can have a quality though -- weapons, furniture, food, etc.  If you click on an item and it's quality is not average, it will be described as a "A poorly crafted copper sword." or "A masterfully crafted copper sword.", etc.  The quality effects the items value and for food and drink it effects the amount of nourishment gained.  As of today's patch it also effects weapon damage and armor durability.

Mythrrinthael

• I saw what you did there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »
Getting gnomes in the right gear should be easier now. Thanks a ton, Robob0b :D!

1. The uniform settings, if I set it to "finely" does that mean the minimum is "finely" and they will choose superiorly if available, or that they will strictly wear finely?
Echoing this question.

RizzRustbolt

• Fine Apple Wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
Getting gnomes in the right gear should be easier now. Thanks a ton, Robob0b :D!

Echoing this question.
The Answer is "Both". You can set it to specific, or an "at least" setting.

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 12:23:46 PM »
2 questions Rob:

2. Is there any kind of table to know what the increases to combat/armor effectiveness to be? Or is that just something you'd rather us infer?

Great work again, btw.

The uniform setting has options for "fine" as well as "at least fine".  When set to something that is "at least" the gnome will try to find the highest quality and will ignore items of lower quality.  So it's possible they just won't equip anything if you set it too high.  If it's set to a specific quailty, they will only try to equip that quality.  In the dropdown box is lists "any" which is the same as "at least poor" and is the default option.  They'll still prioritize higher quality items but will at least equip something if it exists.  Also, "at least legendary" is the same as just legendary, so only "legendary" by itself is an option.

Right now I'm trying out:

-10% Poor
No bonus for Average
+10% Fine
+20% Superior
+40% Masterful
+80% Legendary

These will probably get adjusted over time but is the current bonus.  In general a legendary item will put it pretty close to the next tier up, ie a legendary copper sword will be pretty close to an average bronze sword.

lotsofpaper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »
A little confused... does this include traps as well? Since they technically strike like a single weapon hit?

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 12:29:21 PM »
A little confused... does this include traps as well? Since they technically strike like a single weapon hit?

It should! But it doesn't right now :/  That was an oversight though, and I'll fix it in the next patch.

lotsofpaper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »

It should! But it doesn't right now :/  That was an oversight though, and I'll fix it in the next patch.

Cool beans! Also, legendary items? Will these have an increase in power now, or is it still just a fancy name?

ArwingXL

• Game Art Donator
    • View Profile
    • RADCORE.US
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 12:36:20 PM »
Isn't there a way in the code to make this sort of thing modular, like a subroutine that all attack items use to calculate damage?  That way, traps and hand-held weapons would be effected by the same quality modifiers the moment you added support.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
Cool beans! Also, legendary items? Will these have an increase in power now, or is it still just a fancy name?

Speaking of the funny names, are you planning to introduce a switch so they can be switched off in the combat log? I do find it kind of hard to remember wich legendary weapon was of which type...
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

General Suggestion Collection Thread New and improved Suggestion List