October 17, 2017, 07:49:07 AM

Poll

Should you be able to change from peaceful to normal in game?

Yes, definitely!
68 (51.5%)
Yes, if the world is noted as having started in peaceful
40 (30.3%)
No
7 (5.3%)
I don't care either way
17 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: Switch from Peaceful to Normal?  (Read 19878 times)

Merry76

• View Profile
Re: Switch from Peaceful to Normal?
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2012, 10:52:33 AM »
AI War: Fleet Command

Wasnt that the game where you had to provide fuel to your ships, or they would just go one way and strand?
Yeah, that was too much hassle to "play". Sure it was more "realistic" than just having a bubble around your planets where your ships can fly, but I rather did not want to play a gas station valet for my ships. I tried it for about 10 minutes i think  ::)
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

ParGellen

• Village Idiot's Donkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2012, 12:33:44 PM »

Wasnt that the game where you had to provide fuel to your ships, or they would just go one way and strand?
Yeah, that was too much hassle to "play". Sure it was more "realistic" than just having a bubble around your planets where your ships can fly, but I rather did not want to play a gas station valet for my ships. I tried it for about 10 minutes i think  ::)

To be completely honest I don't really remember the details other than finding the game rather fun until encountering the enemy. No matter what I did they trounced me like a newborn babe that had just fallen off the turnip truck yesterday. I was just using it as a first-hand experience example to reinforce the point Skreyola was making. I didn't mean to derail the thread with my thinking out loud :)
In single-player PC gaming player satisfaction comes from the journey and the decisions made along the way. Not the cutscene at the end.

Favorite TV Quote: "I think I'll take this opportunity to remove my ears." - Captain Picard

Darthlawsuit

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2012, 09:41:08 PM »
This is a sandbox game. You should be able to do whatever you want. Don't decide how the players play, give them the tools to play with and let them figure out how.

http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=1933.0

syneris

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2012, 02:29:56 AM »
This is a sandbox game. You should be able to do whatever you want. Don't decide how the players play, give them the tools to play with and let them figure out how.

To what extreme?
The game forces me to feed my gnomes. It forces me to cut trees and build workshops to make drinks, or to make a pasture and have a gnome manage yaks for milk. GTA is a sandbox game, but you still have to deal with cops.

Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2012, 03:12:30 AM »

To what extreme?
The game forces me to feed my gnomes. It forces me to cut trees and build workshops to make drinks, or to make a pasture and have a gnome manage yaks for milk. GTA is a sandbox game, but you still have to deal with cops.
GTA also has cheats available like many many other games and are intentionally implemented by the developers themselves. Nothing like turning on God Mode and claiming you still have to deal with cops.

Darthlawsuit

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2012, 09:13:47 AM »

To what extreme?
You don't  have to feed your gnomes or cut trees. You could just sit back and watch them slowly die of starvation and battle.

http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=1933.0

skreyola

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2012, 10:17:19 AM »
I remembered!!

Sorry for being so far off topic...
I have that game. And it is quite difficult. You have to get some things right in the first hour or two of gameplay to have any chance... and I usually select my maps and starting location very carefully so that the enemies won't end up with one of the game breakers... I prefer to have those weapons for myself. :)

I think that's a good analog for the current situation added to the direction the elite players seem to want it to go. You have to be both good at managing the civilization and good at micromanaging the combat/building to succeed. If you miss something, or attack the wrong objective, you can easily lose over 10 hours of work in a very short time.

I think it's also a good example because it does give you loads of options to tweak the difficulty. Don't like those special weapons? Uncheck this option. Want the enemy to stay in his area and not bother you until you attack him? There's an option for that.

It's still a very hard game. I haven't beaten a map, yet (mostly because it takes sooooooo long to play, but with the options, there's a good chance I will. I'm almost done with one map... but I had to turn on every gimp option and pick my starting point carefully to do it.

I'd rather that Gnomoria become as hard to play as that game. I'd like it to be a game people can play for relaxation. But I recognize that it's Robobob's project and not mine. However, the developer(s) is the only one who gets to tell me as a player that my ideas are full of crap. Another player does not have the right to tell me that the dev's not going to implement my ideas, because you don't know any more about it than I do. It frustrates me that some players are trying to stifle discussion of options. Options! Not a dumbing down of the game that they'll have to deal with. Options. Options that they can choose not to use. *SMH*

ashengrad

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2012, 09:29:18 AM »
 I tried reading the 7 pages but it was becoming overwelming.

If someone has already said this, I apologize.

First, I choose "yes, definitely!"

My issue with the switching from peaceful to normal mode.

When playing in peaceful, people tend to be more wreckless. Digging far into the earth, making a big hall, just random stuff that is dangerous in normal mode.

My solution:
When you click from Peaceful to Normal it has a small pop-up that says: "Are you sure? Your common wave will be X Enemies!"

Why do I bring this up? I have a friend who dug down to -17 right away on Peaceful mode and just started digging it out and making a HUGE Great Hall. And I'd hate to have the possibility of him unaware of what the curve is actually like (since he's new), and click on Normal mode and get his entire village slaughtered in the first wave of Golems (since he didn't put up torches), and Ogres straight away. And I've never heard of making a big army on peace mode, so this would at least give you the ability to shift over to normal without getting ultimately crushed.

Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »
My solution:
When you click from Peaceful to Normal it has a small pop-up that says: "Are you sure? Your common wave will be X Enemies!
Having this on normal would be really nice too to know the general type of invasion you should be expecting.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »
My solution:
When you click from Peaceful to Normal it has a small pop-up that says: "Are you sure? Your common wave will be X Enemies!

Not much of a solution... who knows what to expect if the popup says: "Are you sure? You might expect 15-18 mants / 3 goblin soldiers and a twoheaded ogre each wave!" (Note: this list will grow as new stuff gets eventually added, and say even less about the combat readiness of your empire).

I know I wouldnt have the first time i experienced mants. Or Ogres. Those Numbers mean nothing until you did educate yourself (by failing against said mobs, or by reading up on them).

Still not convinced the switch will solve the "OMG Mants are overpowered" Posts (replace "mants" with whatever comes next, whenever it comes) on the forums. A Difficulty setting (however it might look like) might be the much better way to catch that problem. Having peaceful, casual, normal and stupidly hard would do the trick i guess.

How to share Savegames

Mythrrinthael

• I saw what you did there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2012, 01:06:34 PM »
I'd prefer those difficulty sliders Robob0b mentioned. Allow the player to modify/remove specific facets of the game. Nobody could complain about mants if you have more control over their numbers.

orbitmoria

• All they do is dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »
I voted YES for the simple fact that in a sandbox game, I want to be the author of my experience.

It wont be for everyone. But clearly, the people who could benefit from it would appreciate the option. I'm not a hard-core gamer by any stretch, but I do want to build creative and intricate defenses... and choose the time and method to test them. I also like a challenge, so I wont be using the "switch" very often if it ever becomes implemented. The survival element of these games is what really gives it it's charm. So, yes, I suppose it should only be an option in the beginning so you know you aren't playing the genuine experience.

Deathmage

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2014, 01:28:41 AM »
My problem is I'm not on peaceful but the enemies are a walk over. Time to make a ton of silver statues...  :( P.s. Sorry if I resurrected a dead post.

InternetJanitor

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2014, 05:34:25 AM »
That treasure room etc plan sounds like a ton of fun. Great idea Bob!

Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
I'm not sure I see the need to have resurrected this post, since we already can switch from peaceful to normal now. Also Deathmage, I'm not seeing the relevancy of your post to this one. I'm locking this thread now since its purpose is no longer needed and is now causing off-topic posts.
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specified as such.