October 25, 2014, 07:30:27 AM

Author Topic: Crossbow Quality and Damage Questions  (Read 2019 times)

FlashFry

• View Profile
Crossbow Quality and Damage Questions
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:22:06 AM »
Is there a chart anywhere that explains how damage works for ranged weapons?

For melee, the better the metal used, the more damage it does (except lead does extra blunt damage from what I understand). For ranged weapons however you have the metal/wood/cloth used to make the weapon, but also you have ammunition.

Is a copper crossbow made from copper/pine/cotton but shooting steel bolts better than a steel crossbow made from Steel/Birch/Wool, but shooting stone bolts?
Is lead a good metal to us for ammunition for guns, or does it stink because guns deal piercing damage?
Is it better to use stone ammunition than some soft metals?

I guess I am just trying to figure out what combinations are good and which ones are not. Obviously I would ASSUME that steel crossbows firing steel bolts are best... but I would still like to see some numbers attached to each ammunition type and metal type used in the construction of the weapon.

Mythrrinthael

• I saw what you did there!
    • View Profile
Re: Crossbow Quality and Damage Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:34:08 AM »
Lead is an exception in the sense that it provides a bonus for blunt damage. But not enough to outperform steel.

Additionally, archers can use their weapons in melee; the material for the weapon determines the melee effectiveness. The ammunition determines ranged effectiveness.

FlashFry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:44:51 AM »
so where do stone and wood bolts fall than in terms of damage if used as ammunition?

The Sol Invictus

• Do Not Wait for Death. Be the Death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »
I prefer lead-ammo is better than steel because it destroy armor WAY better than steel ammo even if steel-ammo kills enemies faster (my own experiences say that i donīt know the details of how is damage dealt by weapons)

Mythrrinthael

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:29:32 AM »
I prefer lead-ammo is better than steel because it destroy armor WAY better than steel ammo even if steel-ammo kills enemies faster (my own experiences say that i donīt know the details of how is damage dealt by weapons)
This doesn't make lead ammo better at all. It just makes it more useful to your interests (getting metal bars from enemies). Steel ammo steel does the most damage.

As for wood/stone ammo: definitely the lowest amount of ranged damage. Seeing as we have no numbers to compare anything to anything, I cannot provide more detail.

Garfelt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »
Steel ammo steel does the most damage.

I'm steel laughing.

Mythrrinthael

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 11:31:01 AM »

Elshar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »
So that's probably why my stone bolts (Typically Lapis, as I have tons) don't do anything against iron/steel goblins or mants. I kind of figured that, but I didn't want to waste metal making bolts. I was sort of hoping if they got really good maybe their skill would overcome whatever deficiencies are caused by using stone.

The ammunition determines ranged effectiveness.

crossmr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 05:00:11 PM »
So that's probably why my stone bolts (Typically Lapis, as I have tons) don't do anything against iron/steel goblins or mants. I kind of figured that, but I didn't want to waste metal making bolts. I was sort of hoping if they got really good maybe their skill would overcome whatever deficiencies are caused by using stone.

The ammunition determines ranged effectiveness.

I regularly kill mants with stone ammo from crossbows. What are their skills? They won't do anything until higher skill levels. Around 50 they'll start piercing the thorax and heart. Around 70 skill they'll start piercing the stomach and causing bleeds on mants.

I still haven't seen them do anything against goblins though unless the goblin isn't in full armor.

Strains

• Grow what you can
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »

Stone ammo works fine

ofc with a gun skill at 114 +/- 10 on 5 gunners anything is possible, ill see if i can find the pic with a bleeding mant :)

Lead however do huge amounts of dmg

Edit*

Yeah bleeding mant, cant find the combat log, but that was also a stone shot ;) although the steel pistol was legendary.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:46:04 PM by Strains »
Feel like you've gotten way too much game for the amount of money you payed? have no fear, donate here http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=2533.15

Mind you, we forced robo to give us this option ;)

crossmr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 01:09:33 AM »
I posted in another thread a combat log of a 70 skill crossbow guy tear a stomach with a stone bolt.
Higher skill helps a lot. Maybe more than material.

Mythrrinthael

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 02:42:29 AM »
I posted in another thread a combat log of a 70 skill crossbow guy tear a stomach with a stone bolt.
Higher skill helps a lot. Maybe more than material.
Yeah, I really should have mentioned that before. A Gnome with 80+ brawling might kill a mant with some wheat seeds.

But the same goes for all weapons and their skills. I used to have a Gnome with 140+ Axe skill. His copper axe was legendary and could decapitate Steel Goblins like it's nothing.