May 24, 2018, 02:56:02 AM

Author Topic: Minecarts,Elevators  (Read 1353 times)

a.smulski

• View Profile
Minecarts,Elevators
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:21:34 AM »
i think that idea would make transporting  resources and gnomes on hugh distance  easier

joshwoo69

• View Profile
Re: Minecarts,Elevators
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:12:24 PM »
Going to reply this due to the fact that it is a out cry.
What he said is that minecarts and elevators will help in the transportation of materials.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 11:20:54 PM »
No, the way the game is set up now, they would not.  Reason for that is that both these items are "fixed transportation" - you need to dig out elevator shafts and place minecart tracks. Compare it to wheelbarrows, buckets and sacks: those dont need this and have a huge capacity of 32 items each. There simply isnt enough to haul to leave enough for minecarts and elevators to do.

If we get those transportation methods (and I am not really against it, I just cant see them to be any useful at the moment) wheelbarrows, buckets and sacks need to be nerfed to carry about 5-8 units. Even then setting up a transportation lane might be obsolete because you need to set it up first.
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Tamorr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:10:13 AM »
I can somewhat see elevators useful theoretically mainly for those instances where the gnomes want to grab from a pile several levels down instead of the pile next to them. Of course there are workarounds for that. I don't really see it much beyond an aesthetic that can be researched possibly via tinker.

As for the mine cart, that doesn't appear useful much even if setup. I mean you are continuously making new paths in the mines. You'd sooner run out of metal to make the tracks then finishing laying the path of tracks. This of course is just an overestimation, but still seems valid as I could only see it being used per level on a plane not multi-level; at least in the way things work. I am sure it could be setup for multi-level or to work that way, but really stairs are a whole lot faster.

Also what merry above mentions makes more sense in transporting goods than these two methods. I can really only see either of these more for an aesthetic point of view than anything else. That said it really would bother me either way if one or the other or both were added. Not too fond of them decreasing the wheelbarrow carry storage, or the other two as well. At least not by that much. If at all I would say 1/2, but even that is going a bit far.
 :-\

Esch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »
I would love elevators, because then you can set it so that elevators prevents gnomes from getting tired while they're on them. That way you can have them go down further underground without the need for extra beds and all that stuff.

The tricky part is the construction. They shouldn't be infinite, so maybe 5-10 levels max. Then you would have to power it. Wind won't be enough, so a steam engine would be required. Gnomes would have to wait around for the elevator to reach their level, so if you have a constant flurry of activity you would have to construct a lot of them, because gnomes waiting around will eventually get tired because they can't stand still.

billdakat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 02:39:59 PM »
What about an automated hopper and shoot system, so say if your main food stockpile is 20 levels down your gnomes would just dig a shaft down then build a bin. fill the bin with food and it appears in the hopper 20 floors down without a gnome having to walk it there, and it can hold more than a wheelbarrow full at a time...
Going from a low floor to a hire floor would be real world more difficult, but this is an instance when game logic could just ignore that.

Also for food this could be used a  vertical stockpile with multiple level access.