July 16, 2018, 01:43:37 AM

Author Topic: Difficulty levels  (Read 4564 times)

Borsek

• View Profile
Difficulty levels
« on: November 15, 2012, 05:50:13 AM »
Thought I'd put this out there:

The current difficulty levels are peaceful and normal... I was thinking it might be nice if more were added.

Peaceful
Easy (enemies with lower stats, perhaps less enemies)
Normal (same as now)
Hard (double the enemies)
Insane (double the amount and raise the stats of enemies)

Changing difficulty in-game, in the escape menu - start with peaceful, then when built up, switch to insane for epic slaughterfests!

This stems from me playing on normal and getting my village swarmed with those pesky zombies when digging to find tin... I walled myself in on a large map, but then my people ran out of food in the winter (lol) :/
On the other hand, some people always require more of a challenge, so if they don't mind finding caves full of beetles at -2, be my guests.

I know switching from normal to peaceful and vice-versa is possible by editing the save files, but imho there should be an option ingame - imo it also fits in the UI/non-combat updates that are coming. I'm sure it's all planned, but with the combat updates providing us with more (all?) enemies, now would be the perfect time to enable the player to experiment with the numbers.

Thoughts?

Girlinhat

• View Profile
Re: Difficulty levels
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 06:13:29 AM »
Suggestion forum.

robo336

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:04:07 PM »
Multiple difficulties would be appriciated.
Peak oil.
look it up.

birdrobber

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 04:55:48 PM »
Would give the game more possibilities when it comes to new users as well :)

deeredman1991

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 06:00:55 PM »
I would like to see terrifying difficulty added like in dwarf fortress where if you don't deal with the bodies properly they come back to life as the undead I would play that lol.

xara

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
Terrifying should be "torches fizzle underground"

syneris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »
Terrifying should be "torches fizzle underground"

You'd need to replace the coal on the torch.

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:32:14 AM »
I think it would be better if we instead chose what kind of threats we can encounter in the game.   For example...

Mant Colony ON/OFF:  If enabled, there would be an existing Mant Colony somewhere within or nearby your territory.  So long as the queen still lives, new Mants will be born.  They are dependent upon scent for establishing lines of communication, be it pathfinding, marking enemies, or otherwise finding things.  They can get out of hand if they collect too much food and water.  Often farms giant aphids.

Golems ON/OFF:  With golems enabled, there are ancient dwarven ruins that lie beneath the Earth.  If your gnomes uncover these ruins, it is possible that the golems will not recognize your gnomes as the descendants of dwarves and will attack.  They will attack anything that isn't recognized as dwarves, with the exception of anyone carrying a gemstone that is the symbol of the golem's dwarven creators.  Such gemstones were used for emissaries and merchants, so that they won't be attacked by accident.

Goblins ON/OFF:  The deity of the gnomes may or may not have chosen to place a tribe of goblins by them.  If present, these goblins are apt to kidnap the gnome's children, steal their items, and possibly declare war upon them.

Dark Elves ON/OFF:  Cannibalistic relatives of the elves may stalk the woods.  They are very fond of bone carvings and the flesh of humanoids.  They excel at crafting excellent items from the remains of their prey, and may trade with the gnomes if certain requirements are fulfilled.

Borsek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:53:38 AM »
Torches fizzle underground is not scary, just wall the area off after you mine it out and transport the goods out. Unless you mean torches stay lit for like 2h, in which case I wouldn't place them at all, anyway!

xara

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 11:51:50 AM »
Torches fizzle underground is not scary, just wall the area off after you mine it out and transport the goods out.

Do you know how long it takes to actually transport things you mine very deep? Couple it with removing the spawn delay on new tunnels and 'just wall it off' doesn't become quite so easy.

skreyola

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »
I think it would be better if we instead chose what kind of threats we can encounter in the game.   For example...
:support!:

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »
Cannibalistic relatives of the elves may stalk the woods.

You mean like gnomes, only in the woods and not actually being gnomes themselves... I am sure they will get along with us just fine *G*
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Snowballyoyo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 07:00:54 PM »
Maybe make a hardcore mode that is similar to how it is now, but without being able to change it back and forth. And also a normal mode where you can change it at anytime between violent and peaceful. That way the hardcore peeps can still have that challenge without tormenting or boring the more relaxed players.