January 18, 2018, 01:56:11 AM

Author Topic: Open the game for modding.  (Read 10521 times)

sam

• View Profile
Open the game for modding.
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:06:14 AM »
I see a lot of complaints about lack of content, and what i suggest is breaking down the game for two parts,
the core part which is anyway a responsibility of RoboBob, and an open part, so people can make their own
content.
If you decide to open the game, we can add TONS of content, ores, trees, soils, weapons/items, creatures, etc.
Why not?
Do it in the additive way, with no need to replace something, do some "Mods" folder, where the game will read
from at start, and bam, a nuclear bomb of community shock of freedom.
it takes 86 direct hits with hammers and swords and axes to kill a mant scout.

"The sausage has been spotted"

Wrench

• Planks and sandwiches will lead you nowhere, Rob0b
    • View Profile
Re: Open the game for modding.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:31:08 AM »
I'm all up for user-created content, and community driven games. I mean, look at Minecraft and how well that turned out, with some of the mods even making their way into being implemented into the vanilla version. But I think this idea would be best considered in a later stage of the game, maybe after release. The game's still in alpha pretty much, and Robob0b's fantastic update churns are fleshing out the game really nicely as it is.

Also, I don't think they're so much complaints as they are more suggestions on what requires more priority of being fixed/implemented.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:32:45 AM by Wrench »

seronis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:41:20 AM »
Not being able to save/load professions and military options is a COMPLAINT. Most the other stuff is more a suggestion.  =-)

There is still tons of stuff the game currently does where its just numeric values (even from a human perspective, I KNOW everything is 'bits' to the computer) and if all those values were set to be loaded from text configuration files that alone would open up modding potential for people to customize their play experience. I modded minecraft myself before the MCP decompiler toolset was made. Dealing with obfuscated variable names that changed with Notches weekly updates was a pain but still able to be done. Since gnomoria is a .net game TECHNICALLY its just as easy to decompile, mod, and recompile but it would really be nice if a few things were opened up so this wasnt required.

Chiko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:19:26 AM »
A mod friendly game is a lot more appealing than anything. Modding communities can make a game achieve pure awesomeness.

Reconn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 07:10:50 AM »
The game is in ALPHA, why don't you let RoboB0b finish the game to his standards first before demanding parallel development on it.

Mods are great, but not every game is minecraft AND afaik minecraft still hasnt released mod api or didnt do so until recently if they did. So let the man do what he wants to do before demanding what you want to do.

sandwiches

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 07:19:22 AM »
The game is in ALPHA, why don't you let RoboB0b finish the game to his standards first before demanding parallel development on it.

Mods are great, but not every game is minecraft AND afaik minecraft still hasnt released mod api or didnt do so until recently if they did. So let the man do what he wants to do before demanding what you want to do.

This probably has to be the lamest excuse for anything done and not done in a game: "It's alpha/beta/gamma." The reality is that the game, alpha or not, has been released and has started building a rather large community and with its upcoming release on Steam, it'll only grow larger. Some of those in that community will have already started feeling the game to have run out of things to see or do and all the "it's alpha!"s in the world won't change these facts. Best to tackle content burn now, while the community is still growing, or at Steam release at the latest.

Wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 07:23:14 AM »

This probably has to be the lamest excuse for anything done and not done in a game: "It's alpha/beta/gamma." The reality is that the game, alpha or not, has been released and has started building a rather large community and with its upcoming release on Steam, it'll only grow larger. Some of those in that community will have already started feeling the game to have run out of things to see or do and all the "it's alpha!"s in the world won't change these facts. Best to tackle content burn now, while the community is still growing, or at Steam release at the latest.
There was literally an update yesterday. I think the point has more to do with people's patience and sense of entitlement, than the game's stage of development. Again, I think demanding an API at this stage is a bit uncalled for.

sandwiches

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 07:29:19 AM »

There was literally an update yesterday. I think the point has more to do with people's patience and sense of entitlement, than the game's stage of development. Again, I think demanding an API at this stage is a bit uncalled for.

Let's not poison the well with lies and exaggerations, OK? No one is "demanding" anything and no one here has said they're "entitled" to anything. So let's put a cork on the canned responses for now. We simply think opening the game to modding would increase the game's longevity is all.

Reconn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:31:32 AM »

The reality is that your demand is highly unreasonable. All it does is cause more work for Rob0bob that does need to be tackled yet. I'm sure Rob loves the fact that the community is growing so large, but that doesn't entitle them to everything they want, when they want it, when the game isnt even finished yet. If you want mod api stuff, put on your big boy pants and pop it under suggestions and wait like an adult, when Rob0bob feels like the game is ready for that, then he'll do it. Its totally unreasonable to demand that he do it right now.

ruridale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 07:33:54 AM »
Modding is welcome but it is not the right time. Real life problems if u know.
Sometimes it becomes arguements on the assests onwership (duplicated features)
I truely like modding, esp the Paradox titles. Be patient and wait till Robbo satisfy his game

Xinvoker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 07:34:56 AM »
I see no demand, ultimatum, or threat of nuclear strike.
Relax.

sandwiches

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 07:37:36 AM »

The reality is that your demand is highly unreasonable. All it does is cause more work for Rob0bob that does need to be tackled yet. I'm sure Rob loves the fact that the community is growing so large, but that doesn't entitle them to everything they want, when they want it, when the game isnt even finished yet. If you want mod api stuff, put on your big boy pants and pop it under suggestions and wait like an adult, when Rob0bob feels like the game is ready for that, then he'll do it. Its totally unreasonable to demand that he do it right now.

Another "entitlement" and "demand" deflection...

What you're saying is nonsense. It's already been posted and what else can be done but wait? Do you think people go to Rob's house to harass him about adding mod support? Think before you throw little ad hominems and non sequiturs around next time, OK?

Wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 08:04:35 AM »

Another "entitlement" and "demand" deflection...

What you're saying is nonsense. It's already been posted and what else can be done but wait? Do you think people go to Rob's house to harass him about adding mod support? Think before you throw little ad hominems and non sequiturs around next time, OK?

I won't really further this beyond my last reply, since it's getting a bit prissy and out of hand. Personally I didn't say people were openly demanding anything, but I do believe that certain comments like "content burn" parallel to Robob0b's frequent updates does echo a bit of an entitled nuance to it, as if the game had been fine-tooth combed to a point where there is a need for mods and community additions to keep the boat from sinking. That's all I meant, and I'm sorry if I touched someone's nerve and flung someone to be bitterly vitriolic about it.

sandwiches

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 08:11:24 AM »
I won't really further this beyond my last reply, since it's getting a bit prissy and out of hand. Personally I didn't say people were openly demanding anything, but I do believe that certain comments like "content burn" parallel to Robob0b's frequent updates does echo a bit of an entitled nuance to it, as if the game had been fine-tooth combed to a point where there is a need for mods and community additions to keep the boat from sinking.

Let me clarify: I love the game and I play it constantly, so I'm personally not bored of it. However, there's no doubt that letting people add monsters, weapons, graphics, tiles, etc would definitely add more to the game (in terms of those things listed) than Rob ever could by himself. However, my main point was that publicly released "alphas" don't change most people's expectations of a game.

That's all I meant, and I'm sorry if I touched someone's nerve and flung someone to be bitterly vitriolic about it.

And I'm sorry if I simply stated facts that people didn't like and made them go on the defensive to start throwing fallacies instead of addressing the points.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:13:14 AM by sandwiches »

Chiko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 08:41:52 AM »
I see no demand, ultimatum, or threat of nuclear strike.
Relax.
Yup, there was no demanding in here. Wishing the game was mod friendly doesn't even mean we want it in rite now. Exaggerations FTW! xD