June 20, 2018, 05:34:52 PM

Author Topic: The Great Smashing Trap  (Read 20648 times)

Machine

• View Profile
The Great Smashing Trap
« on: November 08, 2012, 09:19:18 AM »
After seeing Garibas topic on his pitfall trap I thought I would share mine. My 'Atom Smasher' trap.

This is the great temple. It serves as the entry building into my kingdom.

Here is how it works. It takes a bit of resources to construct, but after a bunch of failed experiments, it was well worth it. The enemies come in and they can't get out.

The aftermath, lots and lots of dead things. It's still safe for merchants and gnomads, however I think I will build 2 more temple in different parts of the map to avoid the rare occurrence of friendlies spawning with enemies. The only downside side is the 2 spots where the torches are inside in the temple, as you need to space the entry/exit wall from the smasher walls so sometimes enemies can end up there. You sometimes need to disable/enable the trap to pick off those straglers.

Mesmer

• Who need women, when I have gnomes xD
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Smashing Trap
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »
I think this trap is kinda OP. It's the same as walling yourself, with difference you don't wait for them to die from thirst.
The biggest fail is the one you cannot post.

Machine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:34:05 AM »
Well, the same could be said for any mass killing trap entry into your kingdom. I fail to see a difference besides effectiveness. I think the point was to share ideas.

The benefits for a trap like this is, you pretty much always know where the enemies are going to show up, although in a few cases they still spawn in walls around the map occasionally I'm not sure why. The other benefit is you don't have to wait to grab your loot. And lets face it, there's something almost therapeutic to clicking the button to pull level and watching 20+ mants die at once. :)

Gariba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »
You could place the torches on top of the walls, or build walls inside the trap and plate the torches on top of them. That way you dont get blind spots in the smasher.

Nice work, btw! Reminds me of a certain movie in which advanced space aliens built piramids ridden with traps on earth to hunt other creepy aliens

Machine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:38:10 PM »
Thanks! The problem wasn't with the torches exactly, it was that you need those spaces there because you really can't designate which walls are activated together or separately. As it is right now, any mechanical wall next to another will link them together. Otherwise I would have had the entry and exit walls right next to the smashing ones.

Hopefully we get some more options on the mechanisms, like for pressure plates with activation filters.

Foxy1990

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 04:11:41 PM »
Great system, you should make some videos about the mechanical side of gnomoria or a playthrough with mechanical sides to it and how you use them. Not many playthroughs out there and most of them are from people who don't have a clue on what they are doing.

Anyway, great system and clever thinking :)

jeremywynn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 06:02:41 PM »
I don't think it's OP at all, since it takes a considerable amount of materials and time to make something like this. It may take the challenge away, but half the fun is in building such a beast.

ParGellen

• Village Idiot's Donkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »
Love it! Great work!
In single-player PC gaming player satisfaction comes from the journey and the decisions made along the way. Not the cutscene at the end.

Favorite TV Quote: "I think I'll take this opportunity to remove my ears." - Captain Picard