June 23, 2018, 04:08:01 PM

Author Topic: Popout Health Monitor.... like this pls  (Read 5883 times)

SADEyX

• View Profile
Popout Health Monitor.... like this pls
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:38:20 AM »
Anychance we could get some kind of pop-out tab of some kind that gives an overview of all your gnomes health?

I did something in photoshop to show how I mean.

Sorry for my small window, I'm running it on my work machine.

I'm fed up with learning that my gnomes are all thirsty AFTER one of them has died to thirst  :'(

Mythrrinthael

• I saw what you did there!
    • View Profile
Re: Popout Health Monitor.... like this pls
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:58:33 AM »
That's going to be a little impractical once you have more Gnomes.

You get points for effort, though.

myPetReptar

• Master of the Gnome Fist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:07:05 AM »
I like the idea you have though. It would be amzing to "pop-out" any menu for quick reference.

SADEyX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:22:52 AM »
That's going to be a little impractical once you have more Gnomes.

You get points for effort, though.

how would it be impracticle?  Are you saying you wouldnt be able to scroll down a list? :S

Besides, you only want it to show negative status's, or at least sort the list so that most negative is at the top.

I like the idea you have though. It would be amzing to "pop-out" any menu for quick reference.

unless I'm missing something there ISNT a health monitor list, you HAVE to look at each individual Gnome,  I made this list in photoshop :)

Domochevsky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:34:41 AM »
Failing this, i'd also be ok with just hovering my mouse over a gnome to see his/her health and status and current state of mind. :)

UndefinedM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 07:48:27 AM »
huh, last time i checked they had bubbles that told you the gnome needs without any menus..

nice kingdom name, though

Mythrrinthael

• I saw what you did there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »
huh, last time i checked they had bubbles that told you the gnome needs without any menus..

nice kingdom name, though
To be honest, that bubble can show up and it'll still take 2 in-game hours before gnomes really need to drink something.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »
Currently, gnomes think way too early about food and drink. Seriously, if they are hungry, they should go and eat, not think about it for 6 more hours - and then go.

Actually, ill make that a new suggestion.

Other than that, life threatening conditions should somehow pop up. I do not need to know that a gnome is sligtly thirsty, but if he is REALLY dying, i do want to know before he keels over...
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

Mesmer

• Who need women, when I have gnomes xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
And you need to look (find it, and take a look), what your gnomes actually need. I'm not going to search whole map for them xD
The biggest fail is the one you cannot post.

Strains

• Grow what you can
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »
Currently, gnomes think way too early about food and drink. Seriously, if they are hungry, they should go and eat, not think about it for 6 more hours - and then go.

Actually, ill make that a new suggestion.

Other than that, life threatening conditions should somehow pop up. I do not need to know that a gnome is sligtly thirsty, but if he is REALLY dying, i do want to know before he keels over...

Its my understanding threw observation, that gnomes will go eat and drink as soon as the bubble pops up, if they got no job, but you can work them to near death... I dont think its too fast, its like you going at it with something postponing hunger, i could do that for 12 or 24 hours without feeling ill, done it many times before ;) i kinda like the idea of a popup just for monitoring though.
Feel like you've gotten way too much game for the amount of money you payed? have no fear, donate here http://forums.gnomoria.com/index.php?topic=2533.15

Mind you, we forced robo to give us this option ;)

SADEyX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 01:22:53 AM »
Really its just an overview to give you an early warning that someone has a life threatening condition.

But while on the subject, I completly agree, the thought bubble's are utterly useless arnt they.  You basically grow to ignore them, so much that I'd even forgotten about them lol.

So maybe the popout could just list certain status's that you've configured it to list.    For example, 'hungry' and 'Thirsty' wouldnt be listed but 'dying of thirst' and 'dying of hunger'... in fact, anything that says anything to do with dying or death lol.

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 04:22:41 AM »
Maybe there could be icons for that popup menu that indicate the general state of health, thirst, and hunger?  As their states go from good to bad, the background color of each icon could change to reflect their condition.

COLORS
Green = Good
Yellow = Bad
Red     = Terrible
Red!    = Dangerous, icon is blinking to indicate mortal and immediate threat.

ICONS
Health        = a red cross.
Thirst          = a beer stein
Hunger       = a mutton.  (meat on a bone)
Exhaustion = ZZZZzzzz.... (a pulsing ZZZzzz symbol indicates that gnome is sleeping)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:13:20 PM by Sabin Stargem »

SADEyX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 05:01:42 AM »
Yes, coloring the names to indicate a status was something I thought about.  But I think I prefer to just be told outright.... This Gnome is dying of thirst!... PAUSE.  User pops out health monitor... oh yes, we have one dying of thirst and 3 gnomes thirsty and several that are hungry... (!) We must have a problem somewhere...    ...   ...   ...   Gnome death by silly pathing issue avoided. woot.

Justaround

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 02:34:22 AM »
I'd rather have just a prompt that some gnome enterted starving or dying of thirst phase. Seems far more elegant than all kinds of colors. Especially since such detailed division into different phases has little use in game where the gnome either will already have food and drink when he'll get really hungry/thirsty available or he'll be on his way to starvation/dehydration anyway. At that point, securing some food or providing a source of water is a priority no matter if they are in 'Red' or 'Red!' state. Also, that way no one will have to code any popups.

Klatschbatsch

• Brain farts! Brain farts everywhere!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
Why code pop-ups when we already have our indicators?
Here's my little suggestion:
The status bubbles could be slightly color-coded as follows:

White- The standard bubble as we know it. It indicates the first phase of hunger/thirst/tiredness, and will be generally ignored as long as the gnomes got jobs to be done.

Yellow: A yellow bubble indicates that about 50% of the time they can go on without eating/drinking/sleeping is over. They will still continue their jobs if they got one, but the player will know that they soon will be in need of food/drink/sleep.

Red - The red bubble will indicate starving/dying of thirst/exhaustion. Gnomes will immediately get something to eat/drink/go to bed regardless of any jobs they're assigned to. For example, this will tell the player instantly why a gnome has left it's job, without needing to check up on him (follow him around/checking his health). If anything, if the player notices red bubbles over his/her gnomes head, but sees that they still continue their work, he/she will know that something must be wrong. (This will not apply to exhaustion, as a gnome will simply fall asleep on the floor if there are no beds available.)

This wouldn't require too much code as the game already got numeric values for hunger, thirst, and energy.

Of course, this system could also be established for something like blood loss: A color-coded bubble with a blood drip or a red cross inside could indicate that a gnome is bleeding. The color would tell the player roughly how long the gnome will survive before he looses too much blood.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:34:25 PM by Klatschbatsch »
To doors, me brethren! Crush them greedy Mants!

Life is serious business? So are games. Life IS a game, after all. Think about it, will ya?

I don't "like" games. I play them. How do you even "like" a game? Smile at them? They won't smile back. So instead of being dumb, I act rational: I PLAY them.