June 20, 2018, 05:35:39 PM

Author Topic: Fully functional pitfall trap  (Read 42429 times)

Gariba

• View Profile
Fully functional pitfall trap
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:14:01 PM »
So, after a lot of time thinking, building and rebuilding, I finally created the ultimate, most deadly trap (until Rob introduces monsters imune to falling damage): The pitfall trap! With optional failsafe room to avoid gnomad/merchant death. Here's some pictures to help explain:

On the left-ish side of the hatch is a pressure plate. The other three are mechanical walls.

When a creature steps on the pressure plate, the walls rise and the hatch closes. Thus, the only path inside my fort is to walk through the closed hatch.

As the creature steps off the pressure plate onto the hatch, the latter opens and the creature falls down. The trap is then ready for its next victim =)

This is the floor directly below the one on the other image. The hatch next to the torch is aligned to the hatch on the upper floor. Nevermind the other hole, its just an axle that happened to cross the pit's access stairs.

The hatch and mechanical wall on this floor are the failsafe room. If you are expecting gnomads or mechants, or if you need your gnomes to be outside for whatever reason, you dont want them falling in your own trap. If that is the case, you can close the hatch and raise the wall via the blue and white levers next to the gearbox. The mechanical wall is just in case you happen to catch an enemy with the hatch closed.

The other lever, beside the tinker bench, switches the entire trap on the upper floor on or off, so the walls stay down and the hatch open. This alone would be enough to allow gnome traffic in and out, but I think using the failsafe room is safer =)

Good for keeping bloodless, lungless, steel-skinned Mant armies away from your beer and sandwiches and with a 100% guaranteed death ratio at a 10 level fall.

So... what do you think? Hope I could help with some extra defense strategies options!

RedDagger

• View Profile
Re: Fully functional pitfall trap
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »
Really nice, effective and doesn't take a lot of room.

I assume if there is a line of enemies some will manage to survive because the ones behind them will keep the  hatch closed. So I conclude keeping a squad at the door is still very much recommended.

R86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »
Clever design! If you put the door immediately beside the hatch, would the entire line of enemies ball up on the hatch tile and then when the last one steps off the pressure plate, would the whole blob fall down at once? Or do they kill the door too quickly?

If only there was an automatic filter for gnomads and merchants it would be perfect. I'm thinking maybe a bait gnome who sits at a tinker bench all day with his quarter and some food right beside him near the entrance. The enemies would go towards the bait gnome and fall in the trap and your gnomads would go through the other door into your fort. But then if another gnome tried to use McBait's food stockpile he'd fall to his death.

Domochevsky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 02:29:56 AM »
Completely unrelated to that, what is up with the slabs you got instead of your walls? Is that just a visual option or are you somehow putting down half-slabs instead of walls (for better view)?  :o

R86

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 03:07:10 AM »
If you press F (default) then it will shrink your walls so you can see behind them.

Mythrrinthael

• I saw what you did there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 03:19:29 AM »
Completely unrelated to that, what is up with the slabs you got instead of your walls? Is that just a visual option or are you somehow putting down half-slabs instead of walls (for better view)?  :o

Press - (minus) on your keyboard. Stare in wonder.

Your trap is quite nice. I like the colour-coded levers. Can we see a screenshot of the aftermath of a Mant invasion?

Gariba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:50:31 AM »
Well first, thank you =)

Truly, if there is a line of enemies some do manage to get past the trap. I was thinking of putting another mechanical wall in front of the pressure plate, so only one enemy could pass at a time.
Also, I think the doors do break too quickly, but I will give it a try. Alas, a filter would be VERY useful indeed!

As R86 said, those half-slabs are walls, its just the view mode for them toggled.

Year 2 just began, Mants should be coming anytime. And I can't wait to see how high the pile of giant dead insectoids will be... I'll post a screen as soon as they come =)

And thanks for the tips guys!

Rho

• Gnomoria Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 10:42:20 AM »
I'd love to see a video of this in action :D

Mesmer

• Who need women, when I have gnomes xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »
Looks brilliant. I can't wait till my gnomes will invent hatch, to give it a shot.

Question. How deep should be the hole ?
The biggest fail is the one you cannot post.

Gariba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
I dug down 10 levels, but I've read somewhere that 5 should be enough. Not willing to try tho ;)

seronis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 04:16:09 PM »
Why not have them fall down to a single tile that has all surrounding floor tiles removed  (cage trap) and just by coincidence your archers are stationed nearby

Machine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »
@Seronis: The reason he did it this way is because his gnomes can go right for the loot drops and not have to worry about ammo. Much more efficient.

If he did your way I don't think they could get the loot, and even if they could and you only removed the floor on one tile, then you run the risk of gnomes pathing around the tile to get attacked.

seronis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 08:06:31 PM »
You could put a drawbridge to allow easy retreival of the loot. He obviously already has the capacity to build one.

RedDagger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 08:20:20 PM »
If only there was an automatic filter for gnomads and merchants it would be perfect.

Time to start nagging RoboBob for an FoF pressure plate. Spikes and blades already carry such technology  ;)

I was thinking of putting another mechanical wall in front of the pressure plate, so only one enemy could pass at a time.

Ah, good, I think that would work. An alternative would be to use a hatch instead of mechanical wall, and another hatch directly below that. It makes it a bit more complex, but may prevent some odd behavior if something is already on the mechanical wall tile when it's activated.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:22:57 PM by RedDagger »

OmegaJasam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 05:31:36 AM »
Does anyone know of live fire trains archers faster?

If so it might be nice to adapt this to drop some of them just one level, at which point they're tricked into waking forwards, walled in, and can be used as target practice and at the same time opening the hatch so extra mobs fall down 10 levels as normal.