June 23, 2018, 04:31:58 PM

Author Topic: Roguelike Thread - Post your favorites  (Read 12368 times)

Chiko

• View Profile
Re: Roguelike Thread - Post your favorites
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
ADOM II is about to get a tileset too. Which means I will start to play it again. ADOM was my first roguelike, and it's still the one I like more so far. :3

Also, about Elona... Best to get humanoid pets, like little girls. They can wear important gear like weapons.

Dodging Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 10:58:34 PM »
I actually had a silver bell pet and put all the humanoid parts on it through gene engineering and gave it all rubynus (to counter its awful awful con) and a laser gun.  It works wonders.

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 02:07:16 AM »
Is Elona made with RPG maker? It looks fun, but I have some difficulties looking at the tileset. I mean, it's great, but it constantly reminds me of all those projects I abandoned back in the RPG Maker times, and that's painful...

EDIT:

Also, Wayward is very nice! I wonder if they'll make a higher resolution tileset, that would be awesome :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 04:07:56 AM by Tool_dc »

Dodging Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »
Not sure what language Elona was made but it wasn't RM.  Noa stopped developing it though but someone else is trying to re-develop it in java.

Chiko

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 11:28:24 PM »
I read somewhere Elona actually uses tilesets from some RPG Maker games.

Also, Elona +
It's the closest thing to an update for that game. :P

Darkmistress

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 02:38:31 PM »
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Unreal World in here yet. I bought it donkeys years ago so I have a lifetime account. It has however recently gone completely free.
It's a tough as nails but extremely rewarding in depth game. Find the latest version here:

http://www.unrealworld.fi/urw_downloads.html

Tool_dc

• The Butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 01:23:49 AM »
I discovered Unreal World some time ago, but I don't have tried it yet. Looks very interesting, though the graphics could be a little better.

Darkmistress

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 03:35:14 AM »
Graphics never really bothered me tbh, but having said that they are reworking the tileset and doing a graphics overhaul atm so you might like to check it out when that's finished if the graphics bother you too much. I must warn you though, the game is heartless! So many ways to die :) There is a tutorial, so it's much easier to learn now although the learning curve is still very steep.

grolibus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »
Guys, guys, come on... You can't be one page 2 of a roguelikes thread and not have mentioned Nethack, can you??

Chiko

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 11:36:18 AM »
I've been playing Unreal World for a while now and I must say it's pretty good. I used to die in the middle of winter but after a while and playing the tutorial mission-things, I managed to survive that. Also, having lots of cows can make things really easy. :P

I also like it because it's so easy to mod...
most of it is still hard-coded but I managed to add lots of things. A few I made myself. Other content is from other people but I modified it to my taste and rebalanced them so they don't make the game too easy. An easy game is a boring one in less time anyways.

Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 10:18:16 PM »
Also, having lots of cows can make things really easy. :P

Once I had cows before winter, it was a breeze. It just feels wrong carrying around 12 pounds of milk from a cow.

Every day.

Really fascinating game though.  Haven't played in months now, and don't have my old save anymore. I think it would be fun to, once I got settled, get a fully armored character and go around squashing Njerpez. I already had a large house with everything I needed.  I also never got in to farming, my character lived off milk and fish.
Wiki | Bugzilla | Chat | Bugs
The views expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of Robotronic Games unless specified as such.

Chiko

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 09:22:53 PM »
Mine Survive off Fish, Milk and Njerpez... :P

I managed to finish a really small home just in time for winter... I haven't stocked much food, though. I will probably mod a food recipe using Milk... since I have tons of it. Eggs are also unused in recipes so I might add some uses for those too.

bordo

• Lego Maniac since 1975 (Skype: antony.bordoli1)
    • View Profile
    • My Lego Store (Not meant to be advertising, but a place to get to know me better)
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 07:48:17 PM »
My favorite was Faster Than Light, but Gnomoria is quickly taking over.  But with save state archiving and all to fight off "corruption" is there really a true rogue-like anymore?

Lobstarooo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 09:02:20 AM »
I might've missed it in this thread but no-one seems to have named Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead yet. Nowadays in full development after a succesful kickstarter to get people working full-time on it. Anyway, it's still really brilliant and you haven't really lived until you used your homemade death truck to run over every last blob that invaded your hometown whilst setting everything on fire with your crudely made flamethrowers attached to the sides.

By the way, there's an interesting C:DDA Let's Play by our good friend Aavak, the man who also brought you Spiderslaughter and the recently fallen Castlegoat. Recently, jefmajor (One F Jef) has had a succesful stint with it, too.