June 19, 2018, 07:07:39 AM

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Thread  (Read 46713 times)

ArwingXL

• Game Art Donator
    • View Profile
    • RADCORE.US
Dwarf Fortress Thread
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:58:56 PM »
Currently using the Phoebus version on a fairly tame world, and the Mike Mayday version on a hostile world. There are things i like about both tilesets. The graphics are nice-esque, and the learning curve, while still steep, isn't so bad.

So far, I'm working with a normal world with a low number of epic beasts, mid-ground savagery, lots of ores/minerals, etc... Sitting on 69 dwarves that have been through 2 riots, a kobold raid(ended by my war dogs), a pissed off great horned owl that tortured everyone and everything and took FAR TOO LONG FOR MY HUNTERS TO BRING DOWN, 2 elderly gone insane- one of which KILLED 5 people, a bunch of newborns, and a possessed dude who spends all day making masterpieces out of dead things, which the ELVES LOVE? And yes, those dwarves are dancing on the table, because the children in the fort take to partying whenever they run out of things to do(haven't made them any toys yet) Due to this, some chairs have been broken. (-___-)

I currently am putting off playing this so i can get things done.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:21:32 PM by ArwingXL »

Jere

• Smite the invaders!
    • View Profile
Re: So I tried Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 03:40:41 AM »
I've come over from Dwarf Fortress (being immersed for 100's of hours) to try Gnomoria after being advised by a friend.

If you enjoyed Vanilla (well, with a tileset) DF, I'd advise you try the Masterwork Fortress mod too, adds a whole load of new buildings and items (additional weapons sets, buildings, religion etc), you can get it from here - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98196.0

Plus if you cant handle the ascii side of it, Masterwork comes with a whole host of tilesets to try out, though I've found Phoebus to be the best so far.
They cant break you if you dont have a spine.
 - Wally from Dilbert

lukepop

• View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »
Ive never tried dwarf fortress and now i dont want to...THAT THING IS UUUUUUGGGGLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mythrrinthael

• I saw what you did there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:38:35 PM »
Ive never tried dwarf fortress and now i dont want to...THAT THING IS UUUUUUGGGGLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Truth be told, you should see the interface of vanilla DF. You will weep blood.

Arwing, low amounts of epic beasts? Why would you stand between your dwarves and glorious dwarf-on-nondwarf combat of the greatest kind? Do you not like !FUN!?  ;)

ArwingXL

• Game Art Donator
    • View Profile
    • RADCORE.US
ugly but fun
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 06:12:35 AM »
fun for me is only having to deal with kobolds and insanity. I have enough to worry about with the aftermath of kobolds and insanity. Heaven forbid a dwarf accidently set something on fire,  or a miner goes stark raving mad over accidently flooding a gold vein with pressurized water.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 06:21:42 AM by ArwingXL »

webkilla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 10:15:47 AM »
DF is - mechanically - what I hope Gnomoria turns into

Gnoroia is - graphically and UI-wise - what I want DF to turn into

that said, then its always fun to make a DF game where you make a fuck the world machine (switch a level, flood the world with lava)

This pleases Armok

that, and the just ridiculous depth of the coding - I mean - children that dance on the tables, so the chairs start breaking. I once read about a DF game where an injured dorf got patched up by a crappy surgeon, and for the rest of the game that dorf had a bloody entrail hanging behind him. There's just no limit to the depth and complexity of DF. Gnomeria is far more 'flat' right now - which can be seen as both a good and a bad thing

Jamake

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 09:38:22 PM »
I once read about a DF game where an injured dorf got patched up by a crappy surgeon, and for the rest of the game that dorf had a bloody entrail hanging behind him. There's just no limit to the depth and complexity of DF. Gnomeria is far more 'flat' right now - which can be seen as both a good and a bad thing
ROFL!! Yes, that is exactly what Gnomoria needs right now. More depth.

I'm pretty tempted to try DF again now. The graphics aint so bad with tilesets, it's the keyboard shortcuts that are killing me. For me, it takes ages to find whatever I need under the ton of build menus. Especially, if I want to set up something complex.

ArwingXL

• Game Art Donator
    • View Profile
    • RADCORE.US
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:19:21 AM »
don't be afraid of the interface. It's no more alien than learning how to type. some examples are below.

Want to proc the carpenter to make 3 beds?
(q, scroll over to it, a, b,a,b,a,b, esc)

want to place those beds? (after they've been made)
(b,b, scroll to spot, enter*2, b, scroll, enter*2, b, scroll, enter*2, esc, esc)

random dwarf interrupted by wolves/kobolds/goblins/etc. and needs some armed dwarves?
create a squad: (n, make sure military postions are filled, esc, m, scroll to militia, c, select no uniform,right, down, right, enter*9 to fill squad, esc)
tell that squad to attack targets: (s, shift+enter on squad, k, l, shift+select targets, enter, esc, unpause with space)

this is all from memory.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:06:53 AM by ArwingXL »

AdmiralAckbar

• "IT'S A TRAP!"
    • View Profile
    • IT'S A TRAP!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 06:15:19 AM »
(b,b, scroll to spot, enter*2, b, scroll, enter*2, b, scroll, enter*2, esc, esc)
random dwarf interrupted by wolves/kobolds/goblins/etc. and needs some armed dwarves?
create a squad: (n, make sure military postions are filled, esc, m, scroll to militia, c, select no uniform,right, down, right, enter*9 to fill squad, esc)
tell that squad to attack targets: (s, shift+enter on squad, k, l, shift+select targets, enter, esc, unpause with space)
Dude!?

ArwingXL

• Game Art Donator
    • View Profile
    • RADCORE.US
The great animal revolt of late 253
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 03:40:24 AM »
At the mountain town of Ralkod, in the last month of year 253, the people were recovering from a raid of kobolds that had claimed 25 civilians.

A rival dwarven city sent raiders to see if the small town had fallen. The raiders were met by two squads newly clothed in metal kobold armor. The skirmish was long and several civilians along with a baby died. Both squads were unscathed. Some dwarves, upset by their losses and having lost faith in their government, became outraged and rioted, and the military was forced to strike them down as per the mayor's orders.

When the main animal trainer amongst them died, EVERY ANIMAL BECAME HOSTILE and turned on the dwarves. Many many dwarves died as the great animal revolt raged on for the last month of 253. The cycle ended when the Herbalist gave birth to her son. The babe, after taking his first breath filled with the foul stench of rotting flesh, tackled his own mother to the ground and began strangling her.

To end this madness, the mayor donned a legendary silver hammer, put the baby to death, and preceded to disband the military and put the remaining frenzied animals to death. And then.... the fort was peaceful once more.

The population was once 169 strong.

Now it is 7, and these 7 shall rebuild the town that is currently in dissarray. Ghosts of the former population now haunt the fort, waiting for their tombs to be built. Hallways, lined with blood and bodies are slowly being scrubbed clean and given their original beauty. It was a long winter, and it will be an even longer spring and summer to come.

EVERYONE IS DEAD. :-(

this thread is now over.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:57:19 PM by ArwingXL »

mrkittens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 03:50:13 PM »

Funnily enough it's never been the graphics that put me off, only the total lack of mouse interface. I've played DF, but having to tap a dozen keys just to place a bed is not my idea of Fun I'm afraid  ::) I hope Gnomoria can reach something close to the depth DF has while keeping in the intuitive interface, and cutesy graphics of course, because I just love the idea of it but could never get used to the controls.

Merry76

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 01:30:36 AM »
don't be afraid of the interface. It's no more alien than learning how to type. some examples are below.

this is all from memory.

And people want to set the carpenter in Gnomoria set to automatic, so they can just rightclick-Build-Furniture-Bed and the rest takes care of itself  ;D
Have a problem or a fortress so awesome it needs to be shared?

Well, go on, dont be shy! Use the GnomeworldPool Dropbox account!
How to share Savegames

iIntensified

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 04:57:28 AM »

Funnily enough it's never been the graphics that put me off, only the total lack of mouse interface. I've played DF, but having to tap a dozen keys just to place a bed is not my idea of Fun I'm afraid  ::) I hope Gnomoria can reach something close to the depth DF has while keeping in the intuitive interface, and cutesy graphics of course, because I just love the idea of it but could never get used to the controls.

That's my view as-well :) DF seams to be a game you have to play for 100's of hours just to get used to the keyboard controls, which in turn reduces the amount of available player base.

ArwingXL

• Game Art Donator
    • View Profile
    • RADCORE.US
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 09:51:26 AM »
The average millenial playing a roguelike such as dwarf fortress will feel entitled to a mouse and handfull-of-keys casual gaming style and generally dislike the experience. Tarn has even admitted that the average dwarf fortress fan abandons the game 1-3 times before really getting into it. Once you do get into it and develop the muscle reflexes (takes a few days), using a mouse feels slow and counterproductive.

seronis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 02:35:29 PM »
The average millenial playing a roguelike such as dwarf fortress will feel entitled to a mouse and handfull-of-keys casual gaming style and generally dislike the experience. Tarn has even admitted that the average dwarf fortress fan abandons the game 1-3 times before really getting into it. Once you do get into it and develop the muscle reflexes (takes a few days), using a mouse feels slow and counterproductive.

This reminds me of VIM, which i've abandoned twice now. Probably time for that third round ...