April 25, 2017, 01:19:44 PM

Author Topic: General Tips and Workarounds  (Read 56909 times)

SilNate

• View Profile
Re: General Tips and Workarounds
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 04:28:55 AM »
On the note of selling things, if you plan to build a giant kingdom (not talking map size, I'm talking about a lengthy game), try to only sell RENEWABLE resources.  Bones, leather, wood, food, etc.  If you're going to sell statuettes, for example, craft them from bone, not stone.  Some items are okay to sell off that aren't entirely renewable like gold, iron, or copper, because you can trade for these later on.

This assumes of course that you have a fairly safe location and have survived past a year at least. 

Dodging Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »
Stone statuettes are safe to sell for short term until you can get enough to make wooden/bone/metal statuettes considering you pretty much get more raw stones than you know what to do with it.  Clay, on the other hand, you will probably just want brick blocks and store it.

Something to note about metal and being buyable.  You are probably going to need to sell off some metal rings/necklaces later on to afford the large amount of metal that the summer merchant hoard brings in.  It is actually more profitable to expend any of the materials you are not planning to use for weapons or armor to makes crafts to sell assuming you can handle the momentary increase in enemy activities. 

Xendarii

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 11:18:35 AM »
Great tips for beginners, thanks for this collection! You really pointed out a few things that will help me a lot in future games.
However, I stumbled over your hint that bones don't play a role at the moment. I'm new to Gnomoria and didn't play a lot yet, but isn't there a skill called "bonecarving"?

Dodging Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 12:34:50 PM »
Yes there is, and there are a few roles that bones plays.

• 1. Bone is used for a bone needle for tailoring which is crucial since it allows you to make bandages.
  • 2. Bones and skulls is used to make bone shirts and skull helms respectively.
  • 3. Bones are used to make statuettes to barter to the merchants.

Xendarii

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »
Alright, thanks (: I guess the starting post should be altered then ^^

Dodging Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2013, 09:13:13 PM »
The obvious way of dealing with floating floors is to make a stair and remove floor; however you need to remove them strip by strip or risk having a gnome stuck up there.  An easier way to deal with it is to build ramp underneath them.  Since the ramp has nothing to support against, it will collapse taking the floor above with it. 

AdmiralAckbar

• "IT'S A TRAP!"
    • View Profile
    • IT'S A TRAP!
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 06:41:54 AM »
Hi everyone. As some of you surely noticed, the Guide isn't really up to date anymore.
I haven't had the time to keep playing Gnomoria or take part in the discussions on this board.
As a result, I am unable to update the guide. But I'm confident, I'll come around to playing this awesome game again sometime.

In the meantime, if anyone feels like updating this guide, just go ahead. You can also copy the text from this thread, and build from there - I don't care.

DasWood

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 09:47:19 PM »
I only have 13 hours playing the game so far but here is my tip.

If you have a stockpile that holds wheelbarrows, like for your carpenter output, and your gnomes do not use your wheelbarrows you can fix this by setting no stockpiles to hold wheelbarrows then near places where your gnomes work make 1x1 stockpiles that only hold wheelbarrows.

DasWood

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 10:06:21 PM »
Another tip is to make a civilian position with the way of the gnome perk selected and a civilian formation with the Keep your eyes open perk. Any gnome not in your army should be put into a squad with this as you will get free extra vision and all your gnomes that do not fight will get extra dodge for free as well.

TheEnigmist

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 06:34:24 AM »
Hi there,
There is a limit on population?

Stickle

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 09:59:34 PM »
Hi there,

There is no hard limit on population, but it becomes more and more expensive to attract gnomes. Eventually it takes millions of Kingdom Worth to attract even a single additional gnome. I'm pretty sure population is a logarithmic function of kingdom worth, with some randomness thrown in.

TheEnigmist

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
Hi there,

There is no hard limit on population, but it becomes more and more expensive to attract gnomes. Eventually it takes millions of Kingdom Worth to attract even a single additional gnome. I'm pretty sure population is a logarithmic function of kingdom worth, with some randomness thrown in.

Good :D I will replace all cubes in the world with platinum... i want to see if there is a log(x) taht can beat me! ahahah
Thx for the reply ;)

Lminith

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2013, 11:29:03 PM »
This Guide is still the best one?  :o
I was playing Gnomoria at the time it got created, and helped a bit on it, and on World Generation Seeds specially water ones, but stopped playing months ago.

This is a REQUEST!

Seeing the lack of Formatted Guides in here (many loose info posts) and the lack of information on many Wiki pages or just outdated info, I'd like to request you all, if you have time, to compile some Minor Guide about a subject.
If people gather up we can then have an Index Guide Sticky with links to them.
This way we divide work and it's easier to keep information updated.
I know I don't have time to all of this, but might help on a few.

Many of us gathered information or best practices that took a lot of testing, lets not get that effort into waste and share out findings and help improving each others designs, or simply giving an alternative with a different approach.

Some Ideas:
Mobs - Spawns, Drops, Vulnerabilities, Effective strategy, ...
Growth - Trees (sapling into tree, tree into fruit, clipping regrowth), Fruits, ...
Breed - Cattle breeding techniques, speeding up breed, ...
Efficiency - General Layout, Workshops, Stockpiles, Bedrooms, Great Hall, ...
Tinker - Efficient contraptions (like the Cattle auto-grinder or the Yak controlled Goblin Squasher, ...)

You can work in any of these, or others not mentioned, just open a new Thread and leave link in here on a post.
Lets gather up the community!

Thank you all in advance.

Valheru

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2013, 03:04:24 AM »
Ok possibly also a basic guide to getting your gnomes armed up in someway fast enough that the only guide I ran accross (being wall your tiny map in with dirt) has something on the other side.