May 25, 2017, 06:41:29 PM

Author Topic: General Tips and Workarounds  (Read 57773 times)

AdmiralAckbar

• "IT'S A TRAP!"
    • View Profile
    • IT'S A TRAP!
General Tips and Workarounds
« on: September 05, 2012, 08:28:22 AM »

This is a copy&paste collection of tips and workarounds from the gnomoria wiki. A lot of the common questions are answered here, along with some neat tricks for advanced players (that might take some time to figure out on your own) so you might want to give it a read.

I plan to expand this collection, as the gnomoria development progresses. If you know something to add to this list, let me know.

Keep in mind, this is not a place for game discussion.
Thx for the sticky!

Hi everyone. As some of you surely noticed, the Guide isn't really up to date anymore.
I haven't had the time to keep playing Gnomoria or take part in the discussions on this board.
As a result, I am unable to update the guide. But I'm confident, I'll come around to playing this awesome game again sometime.
In the meantime, if anyone feels like updating this guide, just go ahead. You can also copy the text from this thread, and build from there - I don't care.

Terraforming & Geology

Gnomes getting stuck when digging Holes? Dig "ramps down" instead. The end result will be the same, and your gnomes won't get stuck.

You can level large areas by working from the top of a hill or mountain downward. Dig "ramps down" and highlight the entire area you want leveled. Just make sure there are no trees or plants that haven't been cut down or harvested.

Gnomes stuck on a single block: This occurs frequently when using the Remove Floor command. Gnomes will mine themselves into a corner and be stuck on a single block. To avoid this, select only the edge blocks of the area, wait until they remove them, then select the next strip. It takes more time, but the reward of not having stuck gnomes is worth it.

Not enough flat space under sunlight for farms and pastures? Build a Stairs up, then build a big dirt Floor on the new, higher level (the one the stairs lead to). Your very own dirt island.

To "see" caverns, try designating a whole level for mining, the selection box will be red in open spaces. To see Ores, try digging a Stair Down, the selection box is red when it is over ores.

Gnomes

Sleepy Gnomes are slower.

Some foods and drinks are more effective than others (i.e. they will sate the gnomes for longer). Drinks form worst to best are: water, milk, wine/beer. Foods from worst to best are: meat, fruit/egg, bread/sausage, sandwich. The general rule is the more crafting steps involved, the better it is.

Materials & Hauling

Too much dirt hauling going on? Make a 1x1 dirt stockpile in the middle of all the dirt. The gnomes will fill it up with 64 dirt quite fast since it's so near. Then delete the stockpile, and the whole 64 pile of dirt will be moved in one go the main dirt stockpile (meanwhile make sure the main stockpile has lower priority than the 1x1 ones, or is suspended).

If there is a merchant in the market stall, you can eliminate all dirt, whether is is stockpiled or not, by trading it to the merchant in return for nothing. This also works for raw stone. If you have thousands of raw granite for example, and don't want it, because you have something better, you can give it to the merchants.

Military

To make your gnomes take off their armor once they are no longer soldiers, assign them to a squad position that has "none" as the option for all uniform items.

Enclose all the pastures and farms you have around and pick one spot, which is the entrence. Then put a training-ground right there - no guard station, no patrol routes. Let the squad train on the training-ground. They will automatically stop training when they see an attacker. This way you can have them improve their skills and protect your entrence at the same time.

You don't really have to end a patrol-route at the first position to complete it, if you don't want to. You can make them in a staight line, just doubleclick the last position anywhere. Then leave the 'loop'-checkbox turned off. They will go back and forth the points like 1-2-3-2-1, which is very useful.

Designations

When designating personal quarters for individual gnomes you can avoid hitting the back button all the time just by moving the camera.

The value of personal sleeping quarters affects the quality of sleep. Higher value quarters make the gnomes stay awake for longer after sleeping. Dorm rooms are always lower quality than sleeping quarters, and are not affected by value. (Confirmed by RoboB0b in the forums).

Pastures & Animal Husbandry

Yak overpopulation. Yaks are prized at the beginning of the game because they will provide food and drink for the first winter. However, they can become a nuisance later on because they multiply faster as their population increases, eventually reaching the point of wandering through all the built areas. The trick to avoid this is to butcher all but one or two of the male yaks once their population is large enough. Keep the males culled, and the population will not get out of hand. Remember that butchering creates body parts and hides as well as meat. Stockpiles need to be created for these or the butcher will run out of room and stop. Bones, which are currently useless, can be sold to the merchant. They have little value, but this is a good way to get rid of the huge piles that will accumulate.

On a side note, the overpopulation of Yaks around the map, although may be a hassle, it has its uses. During night time (although it doesn't pause the game when Yaks have line of sight of the Goblins) Goblins take their time to kill the Yaks and you can see their blood effectively locating them. After they die you can butcher their corpse before it decays.

Hostile Creatures

There is a certain sound effect/musical piece that plays when a goblin attack is starting, watch out for those. You may also want to enable the option to pause the game, when a hostile creature was sighted. Look it up in the game options.

Underground enemies (like golems) spawn in unlit areas near gnomes. According to RoboB0b: "I think it's like they have to be more than 6 tiles away and less than 16 and anywhere between a floor above to 2 floors below. Kingdom worth is ignored here and only the spawn depth is used to determine what kind of enemy to spawn."

Construction

If there are stockpiles for wood planks and stone blocks, and a workshop is ordered, gnomes will sometimes take the planks and blocks from the project and put them back in the stockpiles. If this happens, use the "Suspend" function to stop it. Right-click the stockpiles and check the Suspend box. Remember to un-suspend when the project is finished.

If two workshop constructions are ordered at once, gnomes may steal each others' planks and blocks instead of getting them from the stockpiles. This can evolve into a situation where gangs of gnomes are running back and forth with the supplies and nothing is being accomplished! The only way to avoid this is to be careful when ordering the projects. Select different woods and blocks for each project. Then the gnomes cannot use each others' supplies and will leave them alone. This problem can also be avoided, by building only one workshop at a time.

Map Generator & Seeds

From observation, it appears that game crashes are related to world size. A small or tiny world seems less prone to crash.

When creating a new world - here's a tip for the kingdom center settings:

The two input fields represent the X and Y coordinates, that your gnomes will be moved away from the original center of your world. If you keep adding up on X, gnomes go to Down+Right. Y will work Down+Left.

Miscellaneous

Gnomoria stores your savegames and settings here: %userprofile%\My Documents\My Games\Gnomoria. The savegames are numbered in order of creation. The game also uses this folder to create a Gnomoria.log file, in case your game crashed. The file includes technical data that may lead to the cause of the crash.

You can detect underground caves by designating a mining job. Caves will show up looking something like this:

(Un-)Documented shortcuts

CTRL + scroll: Zoom
F3: Toggle FPS-Display (Frames Per Second)
E: Toggle display of all of the grey/unexplored fields of the world
CTRL + 1-8: Set a location bookmark
SHIFT + 1-8: Jump to location bookmark

FAQ

Q: I cant seem to find how to place statuettes or pet rocks. Am I missing something, or is this not implemented yet?
A: Those are crafts, not furniture. Basically they exist to be sold to merchants.

Q: What does rain do in gnomoria?
A: Rain doesn't do a whole lot.  Right now it will mainly just refill water that has been used up from your well. You can also make small holes in the ground ad they will fill up with rainwater over time.

Q: How do I move beds from the carpenter to the dormitory/personal-quarters and crates, barrels & bags to stockpiles?
A: Right click on the map, use the context menu Build -> Furniture for placing furniture or Build -> Storage for placing storage containers. You can also select a certain type of material (for example if you wish to place birch beds only). All this is also possible with the action bar (toolbar at the bottom of the screen). Note that you need to build things in a workshop before you can place them.

Q: Which items/materials go into which storage containers?
A: Seeds/tree clippings/wheat has to go in bags. Drinks always go in barrels.
Dirt and stone don't go inside containers; the gnomes make piles of 64 units for those.
Anything that isn't furniture and/or isn't mentioned above can be put inside a crate.

Q:  Is there a way to lock doors?
A: No, not yet.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:45:17 AM by AdmiralAckbar »

AdmiralAckbar

• "IT'S A TRAP!"
    • View Profile
    • IT'S A TRAP!
Re: General Tips and Workarounds
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:28:38 AM »
(reserved)

Setsuna

• Sandbox rulz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 08:55:40 AM »
Is it any way to "repair" gnomes wich has lost one leg? What can we do with them?
   お嬢様を助ける!

Gazdac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 07:25:30 PM »
You cannot replace legs yet. 1.11 included fixing broken parts, at the hospital but missing limbs are in the future.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:41:34 AM by Gazdac »

RawCode

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:10:22 AM »
You may kill gnomes you dont want any more by squad + guard area + wallup, he will die from thist in two days.

Lminith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:52:09 AM »
Good post with a basic rundown to start playing for noobs.

On a side note, the overpopulation of Yaks around the map, although may be a hassle, it has its uses.
During night time (although it doesn't pause the game when Yaks have line of sight of the Goblins) Goblins take their time to kill the Yaks and you can see their blood effectively locating them. After they die you can butcher their corpse before it decays, which your Gnomes carry faster then when the Yaks are alive.

Advantages:
- Delays Enemy, Hit taker (literally a meat tank :P)
- Locates Enemy position
- Faster Butcher

Disadvantages:
- It might start lagging the game if you overdo it
- They look bad walking freely around the map
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:54:45 AM by Lminith »

Mythrrinthael

• I saw what you did there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 11:07:38 AM »
Disadvantages:

You are understating this point :P
The amount of lag you get from having 150+ animals in a savage pile of depravity can effectively kill the game.

Also:
To clear out your old saves go to %userprofile%\My Documents\My Games\Gnomoria and empty out the Worlds folder. They are numbered in order of creation.
You can now delete savegames from the Load Game menu.

AdmiralAckbar

• "IT'S A TRAP!"
    • View Profile
    • IT'S A TRAP!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 12:44:06 PM »
You may kill gnomes you dont want any more by squad + guard area + wallup, he will die from thist in two days.
I didn't add this, because killing off gnomes (I assume you did it mostly with injured ones) is not needed anymore, since we have the hospital now. And gnomes laking bodyparts will eventually be healed by a prosthesis.

Good post with a basic rundown to start playing for noobs.

On a side note, the overpopulation of Yaks around the map, although may be a hassle, it has its uses.
During night time (although it doesn't pause the game when Yaks have line of sight of the Goblins) Goblins take their time to kill the Yaks and you can see their blood effectively locating them. After they die you can butcher their corpse before it decays, which your Gnomes carry faster then when the Yaks are alive.

Advantages:
- Delays Enemy, Hit taker (literally a meat tank :P)
- Locates Enemy position
- Faster Butcher

Disadvantages:
- They look bad walking freely around the map

thx.
I added your paragraph. Shortened it a bit, tho.

To clear out your old saves go to %userprofile%\My Documents\My Games\Gnomoria and empty out the Worlds folder. They are numbered in order of creation.
You can now delete savegames from the Load Game menu.
You're absolutely right. I reworded that part, so the information where that folder isn't lost.

Thx for the help you all.

Lminith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »
You're welcome. This helps anyone who's starting out :)
Yeah, I usually extend text to make it as clear as possible to everyone :P

HarbingerOfHatred

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 12:24:10 PM »
I didn't add this, because killing off gnomes (I assume you did it mostly with injured ones) is not needed anymore, since we have the hospital now. And gnomes laking bodyparts will eventually be healed by a prosthesis.
Seriously? So clay golem right arm + gnome missing right arm = some bastard child of magic and medicine?

Mythrrinthael

• I saw what you did there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 01:54:47 PM »
Harbringer, I'm quite sure he means this. It doesn't have to be a Frankenstein affair.

HarbingerOfHatred

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »
I know what he means lol.
What I don't understand is where the prosthesis came from?
Can it be goblin arms/golem arms? Or does it have to be a gnome limb?

AdmiralAckbar

• "IT'S A TRAP!"
    • View Profile
    • IT'S A TRAP!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »
I know what he means lol.
What I don't understand is where the prosthesis came from?
Can it be goblin arms/golem arms? Or does it have to be a gnome limb?

This is obviously not known yet, as it's not implemented.
I simply refered to a statement I read somewhere here on the forum, that protheses are being considered.

HarbingerOfHatred

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »
Ah ok, thanks. The way you worded it to me sounded like it was already implemented.
Was wondering why my gnomes weren't walking around looking like freakshows.

AdmiralAckbar

• "IT'S A TRAP!"
    • View Profile
    • IT'S A TRAP!
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 12:53:52 PM »
Ah ok, thanks. The way you worded it to me sounded like it was already implemented.
Was wondering why my gnomes weren't walking around looking like freakshows.
After re-reading my post, i have to admit that my wording was far from clear. English is not my mother language, so these things happen. Welp, I'm glad that's clarified now...