October 01, 2014, 09:14:59 AM

Author Topic: Can someone explain traps to me?  (Read 5332 times)

cybrbeast

• View Profile
Can someone explain traps to me?
« on: August 07, 2012, 07:28:54 AM »
There is no info on them on the wiki:
http://www.gnomoriawiki.com/wiki/Items#trap

Do spike and blade traps need to be cranked?
How much damage do they do?
Does the material matter?
Can I build a corridor full of them to kill any goblin heading for my base?

RoboB0b

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Gnomoria
Re: Can someone explain traps to me?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:35:19 PM »
Do spike and blade traps need to be cranked?
How much damage do they do?
Does the material matter?
Can I build a corridor full of them to kill any goblin heading for my base?

They don't require power but they need to be reset after triggering.  Gnomes with "Mechanic" enabled will reset traps.  Damage is comparable to a single attack from a one handed weapon.  Trap quality and material will increase damage.

You should definitely build a corridor full of them :D

cybrbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:23:01 PM »
Thanks for the info

ImaMuffinRaptor

• Bird of Muffins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:54:23 AM »
can you make them reset the traps? Or will they do it automatically?  Is there a list I am missing that tells which materials will cause the most damage in what order?

Girlinhat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:31:48 AM »
As soon as a trap triggers, it creates a job to reset it, so beware your engineers rushing out to their deaths.  I often make my engineers into a squad with no guard position, so that when they run out to reset the traps they're already armed and ready to face the greenskins.

Although I personally found traps to be... strange.  I set up a corridor of 3x3 bronze spike traps, with a few steel afterwards, and I was working on filling in the rest.  As soon as a goblin would rush in, it'd step on a trap, and then instantly stop what it was doing and begin wandering aimlessly.  Once this happened, they'd just loiter the map and prevent my gnomes from going out to collect wood and stuff, and my highly trained army became useless because the goblins never approached.

MisterSurreal

• The Profane Prophet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:47:19 PM »
I can't seem to get my gnomes to reset my traps. It's the Mechanic job right? I have all my soldiers set to do that, but they won't.

EDIT: Nevermind, dismantled and rebuilt them, now they're getting reset.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:38:18 PM by MisterSurreal »

Girlinhat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 04:49:52 PM »
If you ever canceled the job, then it won't renew.

REAmDe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 07:43:30 PM »
and my highly trained army became useless because the goblins never approached.

I'm pretty sure that if you click the tile the goblin is on and open the dialog box for the goblin itself, you can issue an order to attack it and all non-engaged military units will do so.

Girlinhat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »
I know that, but trying to find two goblins on the map because they ran away at midnight is a pain, especially because my particular map had a number of caves dug into mountains.  Goblins like to hide in the dark.

Cassandra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 01:45:02 PM »
Yeah, been trying to make use of traps and the like.  Having pretty much zero luck.

Self powered traps.  Miss a bit too often. Then need to be reset.   Currently, this means your engis will often run face first into the goblins who are clearly still alive..  Kindof annoying atm, and really makes the traps not very viable.

Hatches, pressure plates, etc.   
My next thought was to build my own.
Tried to use a pressure plate to make a room that shut on the goblins.  aka, they step on the plate, the door in front and door behind close on them.   but they don't work like that.  Pressure plates only work while something is on them.  So, the door would shut when it steps on it. and open right back up when it steps off..
Trying to use pressure plate to make a hatch, pitfall death trap has the same problem.  Hatches open when they step on the plate. But that means they are on the plate, not the hatches, so they don't fall.  and the hatch closes the moment they step off the plate.
I then tried to use a yak locked into a closed room with the pressure plate to create a trigger where the hatches open and close randomly.   This technically works.. however, requires alot of hatches, and getting the yak into the trigger room is really hard, without being able to pasture underground.

I probably could make a gate, where its 1 square.  doors go up IMMEDIATELY on both sides of the plate, locking the goblin in 1 square.  With a level to open, a side wall up to let not goblins out.